AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Cyrillic Keyword Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I am an account manager for a small AdWords account in Bulgaria and I was wondering if you can help me figure out how Cyrillic keyword targeting works in some cases. I have trouble wrapping my head around:
1. Cyrillic vs. Latin keywords in Bulgarian. Even though the official written language in BG is Cyrillic we have a significant part of the users using Latin alphabet to search on Google in Bulgarian. Should I include a Latin version to every Cyrillic keyword I know is working for us? Latin search terms do not trigger the broad match Cyrillic keywords we use, even at exact matches. Can you share some insight on that?
2. I also experience some trouble understanding how prepositions (e.g. on, at, from, in, into) work with broad match keywords in Cyrillic. I have noticed that unless I include the preposition in a different keyword, a search term won't trigger the broad match keyword the same number of times. I would love to give an example in English but I am afraid prepositions work differently in Bulgarian. I was wondering if you have had some issues with Cyrillic prepositions before?

I tried to browse for solutions online but was not that successful. I would love to discuss this further.

Thank you,

Ivaylo

Re: Cyrillic Keyword Targeting

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Regarding the language, why not creating separate campaigns for each language? actually this your best option. It makes sense when someone searches using a certain language the ad he/she sees be in the same language even if he understands other languages like in your case.

I am not sure if I fully understand your question about prepositions. In general, for broad match modifier, each word preceded by + sign must be in the user search query in order to be able to show your ad. For example, a keyword such "+buy+phone +in +usa" can't show your ad when someone searches for "buy phone usa" because it misses the "in". This the point, it doesn't matter it's prepositions or verb, just put + sign before the word you want to force it to be in the user's search query.

Re: Cyrillic Keyword Targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ivaylo,

Ahmed is right about the broad mach with + sign. If you set a keyword this way +phone+battery it will show both on "phone batteries" and on "phone with long battery". But be careful - in my example its not very good in terms of what the user searched - once a phone and other is the battery itself. Other example: +tickets +Dubai will catch tickets for Dubai as well as tickets Dubai and have the same meaning.

As for the second question: I think i understand you better what you mean - writing search query in Cyrillic but with Latin symbols. Its very common and from the many uses it has most of the time Google accept it as a correct written and don't even corrects the user. But Google is smart so most of the times its going to show the ad no matter the symbols. There are exceptions: uses of "tz", "sch" and some others may not be understood as the same keyword in Bulgarian. "Порше" and "Porsche" are not the same word for Google(ш=sh). if the first is your keyword, the second won't show the ad - you have to include it separately.
The other important thing about it is that is true only for broad and phrase match. Using exact you should include all variations.

I'm not answering you in Bulgarian because others may face same problem, as its common for all Cyrillic languages.