AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Custom URLs when AdWords and Analytics are Linked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My adwords and Google analytics accounts are linked, If I generate UTM code for Campaign and source, etc. in my URL how does that interact with the information in AdWords for that particular campaign?  Is it duplicative?  I have other non-pd search tracking and I wanted to create a uniform tracking system that incorporates UTM parameters, but I am concerned between this and the Adwords linking.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ShashankSingh (Rising Star)
February 2016

Re: Custom URLs when AdWords and Analytics are Linked

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Andrew L

Have you enabled auto-tagging? If so, you don't want to add manual tags. That's what can cause issues with your data.  Auto-tagging is generally best because the reporting is more detailed.  More info on it can be found here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733663?hl=en

You can still use manual UTM tags for non-Adwords traffic, and there should be no issues with the reporting.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
When you link Adwords and Analtyics and have AutoTags as YES ( under the Adwords Account Setting - Preferences). Then you don't need to add UTM tracking, Google Analytics under Acquisition has a section for Adwords that pulls in everything the UTM codes would autmomatically ( ie Keyword, campaign, ad group etc ) along with all the other elements of analytics segmentation.

So is it duplicate - basically yes. can you still do it and be fine yes, but in your Adwords you would have to create the extra custom tracking templates which would make the work double and bring you no extra benefit.

Just use the system as it is meant, Adwords w/ Analytics linked and Auto Tagging to YES in account Preferences and you will have all the correct tracking you need.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!

If there is additional CRM parameters that need to be added to the URL, can I still use auto-taggging?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Andrew L

Yes. I do for various 3rd party solutions like call tracking and click fraud monitoring. It works just fine.