AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Custom Parameters in Upgraded URLs

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I'm trying to figure out how I should move to upgraded URLs. 

This is my current destination URL format: 

www.mysite.com/?AG=12345&data=KW_{keyword}_MT_{matchtype}_AD_{creative}

The AG parameter is unique to each ad group (5 digit number)

The 'data' parameter contains all the value track parameters that I use.

Both parameters are stored in our database and used later for reporting.

I would like to set a tracking template at the ad group level since the AG parameter is the same for all ads in the ad group. Would this setup be correct?

Final url: www.mysite.com

Tracking template: {lpurl}?AG=12345&data=KW_{keyword}_MT_{matchtype}_AD_{creative}

Do I need to use custom parameters somehow?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCer
September 2015

Re: Custom Parameters in Upgraded URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @PPCer,

You are good to go with your present combination of Final URL and Tracking Template.

As you indicated, your AG data will remain the same for all ads in adgroup, your tracking template is fine to be used at Ad Group level. There's no need to use any customer parameter for what you are trying to achieve from ad group level.

However, if you are going to use the shared tracking template at higher level in the hierarchy viz. campaign or account level, you would need to use Custom Parameter.  Include your custom parameter in the Final URL and have their individual values set in all ad-groups individually. 

All the best. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
@Ratan-Jha Thanks! !

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Ratan-Jha

Hi Ratan Jha,

Hoping you can help me as you have previously.

I have upgraded and set up a template successfully. However I have renamed by Campaigns and Ad Groups, and I went to change the custom URL value (_adgroupID=abc) I changed the value abc- and it reset all my ads. wasn;t the point of the upgrade so that changes to tracking wont mean the ads are reset? Have I dont something wrong? Thanks so much in advance Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

Changing the Custom Parameter after the upgrade does not reset the historic data for the ad if your ads' URLs are set to Final URLs and tracking is being the used with Tracking Template fields only.  

Can you confirm this?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll test it out again and let you know Smiley Happy