AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking - time, pages visited etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a rather specific question:

One of our customers has a landing page on a domain, while the actual action takes place on another domain said landing page (a microsite) is linking to.

The reason for this is that he is responsible for the Adwords business of a company but said company gave the business of handling the site and everything related to it to another online agency: In the beginning, he tried to handle it by setting up the campaigns to target that site, but because for every single change he had to talk to the other agency, he decided to set up his own microsite he could modify at will, and redirected any traffic to the main site. Of course the problem is that this way he has no possibility whatsoever to gauge the success of the campaign.

So now my question is: how is it possible to control the performance of the campain across domains? A problem is that a simple conversion tracking won't do because most requests are made via telephone; so we have to use the usual Analytics-numbers as a proxy (time visited, pages visited etc.).

As far as I can tell he has to implement a cross domain tracking that links both sides, but how does it work once it's implemented? Are the numbers automatically exchanged once the link is established - i.e. will I be able to see how long a visitor has been staying on the main site in my Adwords dashboard or do I have to take additional measures?

Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author toaonyk
February 2016

Re: Cross Domain Tracking - time, pages visited etc.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Yes - once cross domain tracking is implemented the visitor data is preserved (or rather passed across) from one site to the other precisely so that this kind of engagement data can be mapped.

Re: Cross Domain Tracking - time, pages visited etc.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Cross domain is a straight forward solution and if he's done what you describe, it sounds like he lacks the authority and/or ought to be working with the actual website.