AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Tracking Via Tag Manager

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys,

I need an example on how to setup Adwords tag manager for a
conversion i.e purchase lead that comes from Adwords to a landing page on
ABC.com (Registration Page)

Then goes from a link on the landing page through a multi-page form
conversion on XYZ.com starting with - /ereg/index.php?eventidb123456 ( Example URL)

The conversion takes place on - /ereg/payment.php?eventidb654321 ( Example URL)

and the thank you page is - /ereg/record/purchase.php ( Example URL)

Please let me know how to set this up via Tag Manager and how I can test this after it is published via tag manager.

I have read couple of blogs on cross domain tracking via GTM but still not able to get it completely.

Waiting for your awesome inputs.

Thanks in Advance.

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cross Domain Tracking Via Tag Manager

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Azeem
The easy way to do this is using the auto link feature.
You can get some background here https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cross-domain#autolink

To implement this in GTM

Form Submits from A.com to B.com (Auto Event Tracking)

In the container for A.com

1. Add a basic page tracking tag (i.e. Tag Type of Google Analytics or Universal Analytics; Track Type of Page View) if you don't already have one. This tag must fire on all pages.
  2. If you are using the same container for A.com and B.com, or if you want to allow bi-directional cross domain tracking (i.e. linking from B.com to A.com): Under Domains and Directories for your basic page tracking tag, select the Allow Linker checkbox.
  3. Add a tag of type Event Listener > Form Submit Listener. You can name it “Form Submit Listener”. Add a single firing rule of "All pages".
  4. Add a rule for the outgoing links to B.com. For example, create a rule named "Begins checkout" and enter the following conditions:

{{event}} equals gtm.formSubmit 
    {{element url}} contains B.com 

Note: Older containers (generally, those created before Oct 1, 2013) will not have the {{element url}} macro predefined. To define it, create a new macro with a Macro Name of “element url”, Macro Type of Auto-Event Variable, and Variable Type of Element URL

If you need to create a rule for links to a list of domains that includes the current domain (for example, A.com, B.com, C.com, D.com), read Creating a Rule for Decorate Link/Form, below.
  5. Add an Analytics tag (i.e. Tag Type of Google Analytics or Universal Analytics; Track Type of Decorate Form). Name it (for example, "Measure across shopping cart links"). Add the rule you created in the previous step as the firing rule (for example, "Begins checkout"). If you want to allow bi-directional cross domain tracking (i.e. linking from B.com to A.com): Under Domains and Directories, select the Allow Linker checkbox.
  6. Save a version of the container and publish it.

If you are using a separate container for B.com, in the container for B.com

1. Add a basic page tracking tag (i.e. Tag Type of Google Analytics or Universal Analytics; Track Type of Page View) if you don't already have one. This tag must fire on all pages.
  2. Under Domains and Directories for this tag, select the Allow Linker checkbox.
  3. Save a version of the container and publish it.

You can find various other setup use cases here: https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/3561401?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Or I am doing something wrong or Google has changed the interface, because I can't find "Domains and Directories".

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 14.23.49.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am having the exact same problem. Any figure this out?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Neil,

I was able to do a Cross Domain tracking via GTM with Universal Analytics. Below you will find details of my tag:

Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 22.31.36.png