AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

'Conversions' when you are not selling physical items

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a domestic cleaning agency, thus I do not have a catalogue of items to sell on the website, just information about the service we offer.

The selling gets done, when someone is moved to click on our ad, which gives them contact information so they can phone us, or fill in a contact form so we can call them to try to sell the service.

In this context I am trying to think of how we can measure a 'conversion'. Yes, when tehy complete the contact form is a conversion as far as I am concerned but so is a phone call. But I cant think how I can possibly measure phone calls.

In this kind of service business, what are the common ways people measure 'conversion' ? ( I aim at desktop search as that's where we see the greatest amount of traffic ( almost no mobile ).

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: 'Conversions' when you are not selling physical items

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

You can use call tracking to measure phone conversions or, if you're looking for a simpler approach, the tried-and-true standby of asking your callers, "how did you hear about us."  If they say they found you online, you can always ask them if they saw an ad. (Obviously this only applies when you have a prospective customer on the line that has the time/inclination to answer a couple of questions.)

Call tracking allows you to use a separate phone number for your AdWords customers. You would use this phone number in your Call Extension and also put it on a custom landing page for your AdWords traffic. Because this phone # appears only in those places, and not on the rest of your website, you would know that any call through that number was a call from an ad. There are a number of independent call tracking companies--companies who supply you with phone numbers you can track through their software while the calls themselves are automatically routed through your normal phone line.

Many advertisers use AdWords to sell services instead of products. Using a combination of written conversions (submissions of online contact forms) and phone tracking works to track conversions for these kinds of businesses.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK thanks

Yes that's what I was thinking also. Good to be more certain that I am not 'missing a trick' though !

Cheers

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Be careful about taking the response from the "How did you hear about us?" question as gospel. In our experience with years of reports from a local service based business client, we may have one, maybe two customers per month report that they "first heard", or "found out" about the company from Google. No customer has ever responded with "I saw, then clicked on your Google AdWords ad".

Definitely take that customer feedback / in person market research into account, but just remember that people may be "lying" to you without even realizing it. Smiley Happy After all, if you get 5 contact form conversions, and 5 phone call conversions you know are attributed to AdWords during a set time frame (week, month, etc.), but NO ONE tells you they found about you on Google during that time frame, something is definitely amiss. Smiley Happy You know the advertising "worked", but your customers may not confirm that in person.

Wow! Thars finnly a spill cheek!

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

New to the community. I am trying to get a better understanding of the call tracking feature. Are you assigned a static phone number so you can place in on a web page to measure conversions outside of the actual mobile call conversion?

Another question in implementation. If you are doing organic and paid conversion for a client couldn't I just place the forwarding number all over the website to ensure all web calls are captured. My thought in this is no query or keyword will be attributed to an off ad phone conversion so data won't be missed.