AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions reported from other websites?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I track conversions on my ecommerce website and noticed that a conversion was reported but when I checked the site no products where sold. I have a second website which sells the same products but have no Adwords ads running at the moment, which ranks high in organic results. The second website also has the Adwords conversion tracking code installed. What I noticed is that a conversion occurred on this second website about 1 hour after the click on the Adwords ad from the first website. Could Adwords be picking up conversions from this second site?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bondimedical3
September 2015

Re: Conversions reported from other websites?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello.

In case you're running a conversion code generated from the account that reported the conversion on both website, the behavior is the expected one.

Somebody clicks on an ad and a cookie gets set. Than that person, using the same browser, reaches the second site, through any channel, but within the duration of the conversion window (which defaults to 30 days). if that person converts on the second website, the condition for reporting the conversion is met. The cookie exists, the time passed since the click is under 30 days, and the visitor reached a page with the right conversion code.

If you want to separate the conversions you have to make sure that the second website only triggers the conversion code for visitors that reached the website from an AdWords campaign.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

If I understand this correctly, you have separate conversion tracking codes on sites 1 & 2. It is possible that the user clicked on your ad and reached site 1, while he also noticed the organic listing and converted there. This could be for various reasons. AdWords can track conversions that did not result from an ad click as well. It would be reported under 'conversions' and not 'converted clicks'.

Hope that answers your question Smiley Happy

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bondimedical3
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello.

In case you're running a conversion code generated from the account that reported the conversion on both website, the behavior is the expected one.

Somebody clicks on an ad and a cookie gets set. Than that person, using the same browser, reaches the second site, through any channel, but within the duration of the conversion window (which defaults to 30 days). if that person converts on the second website, the condition for reporting the conversion is met. The cookie exists, the time passed since the click is under 30 days, and the visitor reached a page with the right conversion code.

If you want to separate the conversions you have to make sure that the second website only triggers the conversion code for visitors that reached the website from an AdWords campaign.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

As per my understanding, the possibility could be that based on the conversion window assigned, it might be a latent conversion which is updated. Since AdWords conversion attribution time works on the fact that the time of last ad click happened before conversion and not the conversion itself. It might be the case that the ad might have been currently paused, but the click last time happened triggered a conversion from your second website since the tracking code is present there as well.

Also the data freshness for most of the metrics is delayed by less than 3 hours as per the help center article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Conversions are being reported under 'converted clicks'

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi,

In that case, conversion tracking codes on both the websites should be the same. As Calin rightly said, this is an expected behavior. If you're running AdWords campaigns for Site 1, conversion tracking code should only be implemented on Site 1. Removing conversion tracking from Site 2 would resolve the conflict.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I tend to agree with him to.