AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions mapped to wrong campaign

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Community,

I have a weird situation. I have one campaign that had several ad groups. I then paused one of those ad groups end of July, and created a separate campaign for it so that it can have its own budget. Today, however, I see one conversion in the paused ad group (20 days after it was paused).

I don't believe this is a first click attribution issue, as the conversions are set up as goals in Analytics, which is last click attribution. So if it shows for today, then the click would have happened in the last 24 hours or so.

The goal completion shows up as both an ecommerce transaction, and as a destination page goal (I have both set up), so I don't think it's the way the goal is set up.

Also, there is no click data for that AdGroup, just the session and the transaction.

I'm wondering if there may have been a mapping error because the Paused AdGroup has the same exact name as the new Campaign that took its place. Here is an example:

Campaign:  Socks

(AdGroup) Blue socks

(AdGroup) Brown socks

(AdGroup) Yellow socks (paused in July)

New Campaign created in July:  Yellow socks  (same exact name as paused ad group in another campaign)

Could this be a mapping error where a conversion that should have been attributed to Yellow socks, the campaign, was erroneously attributed to a paused AdGroup of the same name, but in a DIFFERENT campaign?

Many thanks!

Alex

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexander S
August 2016

Re: Conversions mapped to wrong campaign

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Alexander,

Default attribution model is Google Analytics reporting is Last click non-direct Attribution. So, if a person has clicked on your ad 20 days ago, and later comes to website by directly opening your site link, then the attribution will go to that campaign, not to direct traffic.

Here is the link for more details:  https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

And as mentioned by @RobSkelton, in analytics conversion is reported on the day of conversion not on the day of clicks, that's why you are seeing conversion from a paused campaign.

Hope it helps !!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alexander,

First of all, ad groups and campaigns are tracked by number, not name - so there is no problem with using the same name.

Regardless of the attribution used in Analytics, when you import goals they are assigned the "last click" model unless you change that setting. And that is the last AdWords click. That way AdWords conversions and imported goals match up in terms of attribution (unless you change it...)

Google says:

AdWords reports conversions from the date and time of the click that led to the successful action, not from the date of the successful action itself.

For example, let's say someone saw your ad and clicked it on July 19, but did not make a purchase on your site until the next day, July 20. In AdWords, the conversion would be attributed to July 19, the day of the click. In Google Analytics, however, the conversion is attributed to July 20, the day the conversion actually occurred.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375435?rd=1

So, the goal has been correctly attributed to the last AdWords click that led to its success.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Rob,

Thank you for your reply. Let me clarify; I am looking at the conversion reports within Analytics.

So if someone clicked on the ad on July 20th, and then came back today to complete the transaction, wouldn't Analytics report it as Direct traffic (if they used a bookmark) or organic (if they came back to the website after Googling the site name) - under the last click model?

Thank you.
Alex

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
OK, then in that case, my only suggestion is something that I believe is possible, but wouldn't occur very often with a 20 day gap...They Never Left!

1. Searcher clicks on the AdWords ad and visits site
2. Searcher leaves that web page open in their browser for 20 days, and did not visit the site by other means
3. Searcher makes a purchase

Or another possibility is they saved the AdWords link and revisited it 20 days later.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexander S
August 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Alexander,

Default attribution model is Google Analytics reporting is Last click non-direct Attribution. So, if a person has clicked on your ad 20 days ago, and later comes to website by directly opening your site link, then the attribution will go to that campaign, not to direct traffic.

Here is the link for more details:  https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

And as mentioned by @RobSkelton, in analytics conversion is reported on the day of conversion not on the day of clicks, that's why you are seeing conversion from a paused campaign.

Hope it helps !!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Ah, that makes total sense. Thank you, Deepak!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for taking the time to brainstorm this with me, Rob!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You are Welcome Smiley Happy