AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions for ONLY Adwords vs everyone else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems like the best place to put Google's Adwords conversion tracking code is the receipt page that appears after a completed purchase. 

However...that receipt page shows up for EVERY customer of our site and not just for those customers coming to our site through Adwords. 

Will Google count ALL displays of that receipt page (whether to customers coming through Adwords or from someplace else) as conversions under our Adwords account?  

How do we count ONLY conversions for click-throughs that happened through our Adwords ads ONLY?  

Any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Carlos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos G
September 2015

Re: Conversions for ONLY Adwords vs everyone else?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos

Only clicks on the adwords ads that leads to a conversion will be counted in Adwords account. If you want to track all the conversion as well then implement Analytics on your website and their you will find the data for all the conversions that completed on your website.

I suggest that you read this Adwords help article to understand conversion tracking more:-
#https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722022?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the quick reply Abhishek. It is my understanding that Google sets a cookie on the computer of everyone that clicks through one of my Adwords ads. So far so good.

But how does Google know which views of the Receipt page (which will have the tracking code in it) are for one of the Adwords click throughs verses a view generated by a NON-Adwords visitor coming to the site and buying something (and seeing the Receipt page with the Adwords tracking code in it) afterwards?

Carlos

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
You are welcome Carlos. Actually each cookies have its own time stamp which you can say in simple words that each cookies have its own identity which is associated to with that particular Adwords acoount from which the ad was clicked and led the user to the website. It helps Google to differentiate between different visits to the conversion tracking page.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm...to make sure I understand you Abhishek...

Are you saying that Google knows which conversion is from a click-through a Google Adwords ad based on whether there is a cookie associated with the page visitor or not?

That it will only count as conversions visits to the tracking page that are coming from a visitor that has a Google Adwords cookie?

Thanks.

Carlos

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, Google knows which conversion is coming from an Adwords ad click visit. This way Google also update the conversions later on that particular day when the ad was clicked. Just to make it more clear, suppose a user clicked on your Adwords ad today and completed the purchase after 3 days, then with the help of this cookies Google will update the conversion for the day when the ad was clicked. This is basically what we call rollovers in conversion.

[Added this later]:- Conversion tracking cookieshave its own time limit which can be adjusted upto 90 days, but by default its 30 days(which is knows as conversion window).

Abhishek