AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions across domains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all - we recently started an AdWords campaign to drive traffic to our site. Part of setting up the campaign is to track conversions. The user lands on the site (www.mysite.io/promo) and on that page is a link to sign up for a demo account (app.mysite.io/signup). While I'm driving many clicks (90 today for example) I'm not seeing any of these users as conversions from AdWords. I'm guessing the user details is lost? In GA, I see the bulk of the Referal Source as www.mysite.io and none from Google AdWords? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Karl

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions across domains

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Karl,

It seems you have not linked your adwords and analytics account.
Login to your AdWords account. Click the Tools tab, select Analytics, and then follow the rest of these instructions.

Regards,
Ujjwal

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Karl,

I am guessing that the domain and sub domains are under your control. If yes, then you should first check out whether the conversion tracking code pixel is correctly installed or not. You could use the debugging tool to identify that. Find more details here:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722021?hl=en

Also, in GA, are you able to track the form fill up as goal or not? If yes, you could import that as conversion inside Google AdWords as an another alternative.

Hope this helps!
Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Karl,

Just to add on to two very good points (ensure AdWords and Analytics are linked and also that you have some level of conversion tracking setup, either through AdWords or via Goals in Analytics), I would also make sure your tracking is set up properly for sub domains, that you have referral exclusions in place and correct views/filters if you desire them etc...Right now, it would appear that if you're getting a lot of referrals from your own site (self-referrals), this should be addressed.  I don't have any great resources I can point you toward but if you look around for 'Universal Analytics Subdomain tracking' or something similar, there are a lot of posts you can explore.

Also, AdWords (paid) traffic is not a referral, look for this data by Source/Medium (google/cpc) or by Acquisition > AdWords in your Analytics reports.

Just a thought. 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

The conversion tracking code seems to be OK, and fire OK (I checked with the Chrome Tag Assistant). I have setup this Goal in GA, and can see conversions being tracked on app.mysite.io:

Screenshot

But under Source/Medium, I only see the referring sites, no other sources:

Screenshot

Cheers,

Karl

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

Firstly, thanks for the reply. I checked and for the app.mysite.io I had an old domain in the Referral Exclusion settings (mysite.com.au - the orig TLD we used, not the mysite.io it is now). I've updated this in GA. The AdWords and Analytics accounts are linked properly - triple checked this morning. As posted above, you can see from the 2 screenshots that a) the goals are being tracked in GA and b) none are being attributed to google/cpc. I'm guessing this is because the Referral Exclusions domain was wrong?

Having said that, I have also coded in AdWords conversion tracking using the async tag. I fire the conversion track once the form is submitted in JS code. I would have assumed the conversion would have been tracked there even if the Referral Exclusion was wrong? Or is that not how it works?

Again, greatly appreciate your help in getting to the bottom of this Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Karl