AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions across domains

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

I have the following situation: a primary website www.xyz.com on which i have Analytics code. I defined the thank you page of the lead form as a conversion and coupled analytics to Adwords. Currently, we are testing the vertical approach and made a second website: www.abc.com. What I would like to do is set up Google Adwords campaign linking to this domain (abc.com). The contact button on this domain however, links to the contact form on xyz.com. I was wondering if I need some kind of code on the abc.com domain to make conversion tracking work or is the conversion tracking that is setup on the xyz.com contact form sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Steven

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions across domains

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi BuildingC,

Conversion tracking with the AdWords conversion code is done with a 3rd party cookie, so far that part alone you don't need to do anything special. But if you want Analytics to be able to track your paid traffic across domains, you will need some special code on the forms that submit to abc.com. Basically, in the onsubmit event of the form, include the linkByPost() function. How you do that depends on the version of the GZ code you are using.

Go to the Analytics help and search for "linkByPost()" and you should find all the details you need to set this up.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Pete! So if I just paste the adwords conversion tracking code on the thank you page of my form on xyz.com I will be able to see conversion statistics for my Adwords campaign (that actually links initially to abc.com) because it works with a third party cookie, right?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author BuildingC
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
As Ed McMahon used to say to Johnny Carson, "That is correct, sir!"

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Pete,

I do still see a problem though. As I already have Google Analytics conversions setup on xyz.com (including the setup of conversion goals for other products) won't i get double counts in my conversion stats if i paste the conversion snippet on these pages aswell?

Kind Regards,

Steven

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Steven,

That depends a bit on how you have it set up. If you have set up cross-domain tracking in Analytics and you import those goals to AdWords as conversions, yes they will double report. Goals aren't really sufficient for an eCommerce site unless every sale has the same value. They are nice in Analytics because you can see where folks drop out of the sale funnel. But you don't have to import them as conversions. If you are importing, you can delete that conversion type in AdWords.

You can also import eCommerce transactions as conversions. That's a lot more useful. Again, you don't want to use the AW conversion code and import transactions both, that will double report.

Pete