AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions Tracking - Use adwords Code on Conversion Page or Import Goals from Google Analytics ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can the forum let me know the Best Practice for the above? 

I would appreciate if pros and cons of each approach is given. I happen to read somewhere that by importing Google Analytics goals, "view through conversions" data is compromised.

My singular objective is that within Google Analytics, I should be able to attribute Conversions data clearly to each legitimate source.

Many Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rajagopalan
September 2015

Re: Conversions Tracking - Use adwords Code on Conversion Page or Import Goals from Google Analytics

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

Here are some points you should consider,

1. If you compare Google AdWords and analytics imported goals those numbers in most cases will not match because different cookie behaviour of analytics and AdWords.

2. Analytics will give credit to goal completion to "Last Non Direct" Source

3. AdWords will give credit to AdWords conversion within 30 days irrespective of other sources being involved in the path.

4. If i was you I would implement both as i can drill down to improve my campaigns in AdWords as well as analytics with different metrics and dimensions

Hope this helps

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Re: Conversions Tracking - Use adwords Code on Conversion Page or Import Goals from Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

rajagopalan wrote:

Can the forum let me know the Best Practice for the above? 

I would appreciate if pros and cons of each approach is given. I happen to read somewhere that by importing Google Analytics goals, "view through conversions" data is compromised.

My singular objective is that within Google Analytics, I should be able to attribute Conversions data clearly to each legitimate source.

Many Thanks

I dont know where have you exactly read about data compromise, but as per my understanding, it shouldn't happen.

View through Conversions happen only for display ads i.e. for Google Display Network and this is something which shouldn't overlap with Google Analytics goals because Google Analytics track visits and no view through conversions as far as my knowledge goes.

I would back Nik on importing goals as well as using Conversion tracking script to measure leads. For more details on both products, refer to this informative article : http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375435/

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Re: Conversions Tracking - Use adwords Code on Conversion Page or Impo

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Excellent answer. Thanks a bunch. I've started importing analytics transaction data, but I feel like there are discrepancies between what analytics is reporting as conversion from adwords and what the actual number is. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, when analytics sees a conversion, it doesn't look at whether that user ever came to the site through adwords.

For example; if I clicked on an Adwords ad on the 5th, and did not convert, then I came back to the site directly by typing in the domain name or found it organically and then converted there. My understanding is that Analytics will attribute that conversion to the last known source for the visit and not to Adwords. Does this make sense?

Also, do you know what the time lag is on conversion data from analytics? I also have a conversion discrepancy where Adwords is reporting 4 conversions (imported from anlytics), while analytics shows 9 conversions for the same time period. Any explanantion for this. 

Re: Conversions Tracking - Use adwords Code on Conversion Page or Impo

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

I have a similar problem. I currently have both Adwords tracking and GA tracking conversions.

I have remarketing campaigns running and want to keep using the View through conversion metric to evaluate performance, but the Google Analytics goals aren't compatible.

It would make sense to use both but I was warned by our Google Account Manager that if do so we will be double-counting or conversion data (roughly tracking 2x the amount). Is that not correct?

At the moment, our US campaigns receive conversion data from adwords tracking. Our GA ecommerce implemntation for the US isn't completely functional; referral info is lost so conversions cannot be attributed to CPC. What will happen once this is fixed? We will then be collecting conversino data from 2 sources so won't Adwords just report on the combined totals?

Thanks,

-Eugene