AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions Divided By Unique Page Visits For Every Content Page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to replicate the conversion rate data that Content Experiments give in Analytics. When you run a Content Experiment, Analytics reports Conversions divided by Experiment (Unique) Visits.

In Analytics, I can get a landing page conversion rate, but there's not a eCommerce stats tab when you go to All Pages. I've been trying a custom report, but I just can't get the data. I know this is getting into sales attribution, but that's fine.

Essentially all I want is to know is for every content page: Sales/Unique Pageviews. For example, if someone saw page A, then page B and then page C before purchasing, that would be a 100% conversion rate for each of those pages. Can you help?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions Divided By Unique Page Visits For Every Content Page?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

You do have Page Value that shows you which pages are more influential (http://analytics.blogspot.ro/2012/07/understanding-and-using-page-value.html), but they do not give you the segmentation level you're looking for.

You don't have them per visitor, and certainly not in succession. Google Analytics does not do path analysis.

I assume, though I've never tried, that if you're really into looking for a needle in a haystack, you could do something like this:

- assign a visit level custom variable to every visitor that gets to convert

- go to Visitors flow, segment by Visits with transactions and then highlight the values for that custom variable and see (bot not be able to export) how people interact with your pages before converting). Maybe even retrieve the conversion value for a certain path / custom variable

But that won't help you. Page Value though does tell you that during visits which brought you a total of 1000 in sales, page A had X unique pageviews, page B had Y unique pageviews and so on.

If you really want path analysis, maybe there are solutions out there which already do that, or you can build your own, by tying each pageview to a session ID and a timestamp, and then the transactions by the same session IDs. Not very complicated, but for high traffic websites it could be usign some resources. And you'd probably need a developer in order to achieve that.

My 2 cents, and not the best polished ones.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was like $2, not 2 cents Smiley Wink

Thanks for sharing some insight! It's just frustrating that Content Experiments gives you that data, but Analytics won't. Seems like a great thing to offer so you can gameplan which pages need the most attention. For example, one of our top pages has a horrid landing page conversion rate (we can get that data from Analytics), but when running an experiment, the conversion rate is very solid because it's based on unique pageviews.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I've yet to run an experiment in Analytics, after several of them (multi-variate) in Website Optimizer, so I cannot comment on that.

But from what I see in a screenshot, you have visits, conversions, and conversion rate. So exactly the same metrics as in the Landing page report (and it's normal to calculate that way). And for any visit, and any page viewed during the visit, you'll have one visit and one unique pageview. So you can use either of them to calculate conversion rate. And it makes sense that way, after all we're talking about a metrich which needs to stay consistent across reports: the conversion rate.

Analytics, just as the experiments, gives you that report for the landing pages. It does not, indeed, offer you the report for all the other pages which are part of a visit.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Right. The issue we're running into is if someone lands on our homepage, goes to page A and purchases, that counts as a conversion only for the homepage in the landing page section (makes sense). If the same conversion takes place in Experiments, it counts as a conversion for page A.

Thanks again for the tips.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just got an answer today from their support team that this isn't possible, in case anyone else was curious.