AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions: Call from ads - Does it require an actual click to call?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When using the Google Forwarding Number to gain more insight on calls from your search ads, do the conversions trigger only when someone clicks to call on an ad?

Does it still trigger a conversion if someone is searching on a desktop, picks up their landline, dials the forwarding number without having clicked on a single part of the ad? 

If anyone could clarify, I would greatly appreciate it! the support blogs have zero clarity on this.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions: Call from ads - Does it require an actual click to call?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Janina,

For call extension or call-only ad with Google fwd number, a unique number is shown to the users.

Below is the Google's data regarding the same:
When you use a Google forwarding number with your call extension or call-only ad, we’ll assign a unique Google phone number to your ad. This phone number, which is either toll-free, equivalent to a local number, or a local number if available, will show with your ad on tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. A clickable “Call” button will show with your ad on high-end mobile devices (such as iPhones and Android devices with full Internet browsers).

Reference: advanced call reporting

If you want to track the phone calls from the number on the website, there is another tracking that is Track calls to a phone number on a website 

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

Thanks for the info. I found my answer elsewhere. There is no back-end tracking if someone calls the forwarding number directly without clicking on any portion of the text ad. So the conversions in Adwords labeled "calls from ads" are under-reporting total phone calls. In short, anyone who clicks on the phone number to call is tracked, anyone who manually enters in the phone number (landline or mobile) Adwords does not account for as a conversion.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Janina,

I believe that manually-dialed calls are actually tracked and reported as conversions. Please check out this page: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en It has the information under dropdowns in the Track Performance of Your Calls section.

Is this what you were referring to?

Regards,
Alex

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Janina,

I have shared the Google official documentation regarding the same where it is clearly mentioned that Google Forwarding number is shown with your ads(as extension or call only ads). So, conversions get tracked for the manually dialled number. Google offers an already replaced forwarding number in such cases.
Please go through the statement which I have enclosed before the link.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’