AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion values not showing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've added the code to the "order complete" page so that GA will track conversion values.

However, I've waited 5 days after running two test transactions and no values are appearing.

I've looked at the HTML source and can see the correct JavaScript code with the conversion value.

Any ideas as to why it isn't working?

Is there a quick way to confirm Google is receiving the conversion values? Or do I really have to wait multiple days to see if the code changes have worked?

regards,

RR

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rrbb
September 2015

Re: Conversion values not showing [SOLVED]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Update: problem solved.

Thanks to both of you who replied.

AdWiser's idea was the key.
The conversions (not sure about the ad clicks, though) were being ignored because of my geographical location vs the Adwords settings.

Here's what I had to do:
  1. Perform a search that matched the customer's Adwords ad.
  2. Click on the Adwords ad.
  3. Fill in the order form (I included a valid email address and other details that would be similar to a real person making the order).
  4. Wait 2 hours.
  5. In the date range, include "Today".  Selecting "Last 7 days" didn't cut it because it doesn't include today.

Thanks again.

RR

View solution in original post

Re: Conversion values not showing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rrbb,

I would start in Adwords and not in Analytics...

In case you haven't yet, please make sure that you have the conversion value columns enabled in the Adwords interface and see if the test conversions you completed carried the value to Adwords.

If you're seeing the values in Adwords then you can focus your troubleshooting efforts on Analytics, which could be a linking problem.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Rrbb.

I assume you're talking about the E-commerce tracking code for Analytics, not AdWords. Are you sure your IP is not in the filtered list? It happened to me in the past Smiley Happy. I've been testing a website and my IP was sitting pretty, among the filtered ones Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm just trying to get Adwords to work, not Analytics.

I can see a value column, so that's what I expect to work.

Also, the problem seems to be that no conversions have been seen for 7 days (which is just *before* I made the changes to report the value).

Here's a screen shot:

Screen shot

How do I debug this?  Waiting an indeterminate number of days before you can see whether anything has improved is ridiculous!

Thanks for any suggestions.

RR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Looks like inserting images here doesn't work.
Here's the screen shot URL:
http://tinypic.com/r/epqa09/6

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks, you might be onto something here.

The customer is in a different part of the country and has their campaign location set to there.

So, my activity might be being ignore.

But, where do you find the IP filtered list?

The Adwords help says:

How do I exclude certain IP addresses from viewing my ad?

You can prevent certain Internet Protocol (IP) addresses from viewing your ads. Here's how to exclude IP addresses:

1. Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.au.
  2. Click the Networks tab.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the Exclusions link.
  4. Click the Manage IP address exclusions (advanced) link at the bottom of the Exclusions table.
  5. Enter the list of IP addresses you'd like to exclude (one address per line).
  6. Click Save.

Once you've excluded IP addresses for a campaign, you can view or edit your list by returning to the Networks tab.

But I can find no "Networks tab" anywhere!

thanks,

RR

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Have you imported the analytics goal (that has the assigned value) into the adwords interface as a conversion yet? Is this conversion from the screen shot an adwords conversion code conversion, or is that the imported analytics goal?

You may not have had enough conversions yet to import the goal as a conversion. Once you can do that, the analytics goals tend to take at least 48 hours to report as conversions in the UI. Sometimes it just takes a while, depending on the conversion.

You could always create some soft goals in analytics, then see how long they take to become available for import. If/when they are, then you could import them, and compare the analytics to adwords data, to make sure the # of goals and conversions match. That way you would know everything is "working", and odds are when a few more of the valuable goals occur, that they too can be imported. You can always remove the goals, or conversions later, once you get it all dialed in.

What do the rest of you think? Would having some other test/analysis/calibration goals/conversions help identify what the potential problem may be?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

So, here's the background...

The customer has been using Adwords for some time, and has simply asked me to change the code to include the sale value.

I simply went to the Tools and Analysis | Conversions area, checked that the code he had on the page matched, then followed the Adwords help for adjusting the code to include the value (using "google_conversion_value" in the JavaScript and the "value=" URL parameter in the <noscript> version).

All pretty simple stuff.

But none my tests over the last 5 days have shown any value or any "conversion" clicks

thanks,

RR

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rrbb
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Update: problem solved.

Thanks to both of you who replied.

AdWiser's idea was the key.
The conversions (not sure about the ad clicks, though) were being ignored because of my geographical location vs the Adwords settings.

Here's what I had to do:
  1. Perform a search that matched the customer's Adwords ad.
  2. Click on the Adwords ad.
  3. Fill in the order form (I included a valid email address and other details that would be similar to a real person making the order).
  4. Wait 2 hours.
  5. In the date range, include "Today".  Selecting "Last 7 days" didn't cut it because it doesn't include today.

Thanks again.

RR

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Sorry captain, I completely misunderstood... Since I don't know anything about code, I assumed you were talking about analytics goals with a set value, imported as conversions. Not adding the vlaue to the adwords conversion code conversion. Forget about everything I said, sorry! Smiley Happy

Tom