AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Quick question regarding conversion tracking. I have 5 ad groups for 1 campaign promoting 5 different programs. The 5 ad groups are going to 5 different landing pages to their respective program page. If I want to set up  conversion tracking, would I also have to set up 5 different conversion codes to place on each landing page or will 1 conversion tracking code suffice? 

Thank you!

R

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Aislinn (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Conversion tracking question

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Reese,

In order to use conversion tracking you need to put it on the page in which the conversion is made. For example if you want to track sales/transactions then you would put on the checkout success page of your website which would in turn track anything that has reached that page and through what ad. The only difference for other types would be the page you place it on.

To answer your question; Conversion tracking is done on an account basis.

For more information read;

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722054&topic=1713972&ctx=topic&path=17...

Hope this has helped.

Thanks,

Liam

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ReeseCC
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Reese,

Like I said previously to track 'conversions' you would only need the one code. To track how many people hit the landing page from each ad will be just in the clicks this is automatically tracked and no further tracking is needed.

Is this what you mean. I could be further misunderstanding ha!

Thanks,

Liam

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Aislinn (Google Employee)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Reese,

In order to use conversion tracking you need to put it on the page in which the conversion is made. For example if you want to track sales/transactions then you would put on the checkout success page of your website which would in turn track anything that has reached that page and through what ad. The only difference for other types would be the page you place it on.

To answer your question; Conversion tracking is done on an account basis.

For more information read;

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722054&topic=1713972&ctx=topic&path=17...

Hope this has helped.

Thanks,

Liam

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Reese

Are all your ad groups promoting same type of conversions?? I mean, are all of these conversions sign ups,purchases,mailing list subscription etc.??

Is there a variety associated with these conversion types?

Best

Mudit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Liam, I understand how to install and where to install but I guess my question may not have been clear enough.

Mudit, yes the ad groups actually all go to their respective landing pages which is just tracking how many people get to that landing page via the ad. No variety in the conversion type. I'm not tracking a form or anything that requires an action on the visitors part. Maybe this breakdown below explains it?

Campaign

Ad Group 1 - All ads go to Program 1 landing page

Ad Group 2 - All ads go to Program 2 landing page

Ad Group 3 - All ads go to Program 3 landing page

Ad Group 4 - all ads go to Program 4 landing page

Ad Group 5 - all ads go to Prgoram 5 landing page 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ReeseCC
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Reese,

Like I said previously to track 'conversions' you would only need the one code. To track how many people hit the landing page from each ad will be just in the clicks this is automatically tracked and no further tracking is needed.

Is this what you mean. I could be further misunderstanding ha!

Thanks,

Liam

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Liam,

Yes, perfect I think this answers it! So this one code tracks all visits from the different ad groups from the 1 campaign? I just want to make sure my brain graps this since it is still in Monday mode.

Thanks,

R

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Ah good stuff :-)

Glad I could help!

Thanks,

Liam

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Reese

Do you have the analytics code installed in the website??..Apart from the clicks which each ad group accrues,analytics futher define the aspect of page visibility.

Remember, not all clicks are visits to your landing pages and with the help of google analytics you can get all such segmented data.

Also make sure that you integrate your adwords account with your analytics account so that you can segment your analytics data on the basis of "paid" data. Have you enabled "auto tagging" via your account preferences option in your adwords account??

Best

Mudit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Mudit,

Yes I have analytics set up on my site and have auto tagging enabled in the Adwords account. I guess I just wanted to make sure that I set up 1 converstion tracking code as opposed to 5.

Thanks,

R

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I agree with Mudit, analytics can present a lot more in depth data than what AdWords can and should be used together in order to gather the best data

Thanks,

Liam