AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking on events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'd like to track following scenario

1. Prospect clicks on my text ad that is set up via AdWords campaign
  2. Prospect lands on a page
  3. Prospect clicks on the link (that will lead him to external affiliate merchant)

When prospect clicks on the link, I would consider that as a conversion. I'd like to track campaign conversions and ultimately know, what keyword has led to a conversion. How can I configure AdWords or Google Analytics (it does not matter, which one) to measure that?

My current status:

The ad campaign is currently running and I am measuring Link click events (set up via Tag Manager). But those information (Campaign clicks and events) are disparate and I cannot link them together. I was hoping to find a solution by linking campaign conversions to specific event fired, unsuccessfully. I'll glad for any suggested configuration to will enable me to measure the above. Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Braňo Š
September 2015

Re: Conversion tracking on events

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Braňo and Welcome to the AdWords Community!

Here is how I would approach, via a three step process - 

1. Set up a Click on your affiliate link as an Event in Google Analytics.

2.  Set your Event to be a Goal in Google Analytics.

3.  Import your Google Analytics Goals to AdWords.

Once you do this you should be able to see Conversions at the Keyword, Ad, Ad Group, and Campaign level inside of AdWords. You should also make sure that your Google AdWords Account and your Analytics Account are linked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Brian! The very last step was the missing piece of puzzle I couldn't figure out.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Braňo Š
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
You don't really Google Analytics for that although it's fine with it too.
If you've already configured Google Tag Manager to track link click events, you can simply trigger the AdWords conversion tracking tag when that specific link is clicked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Maxime, that would be an acceptable solution as well.