AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking missing conversions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am getting the feeling that some of my conversions are being missed by the AdWords conversion tracking. I have looked at the source of conversions in Google Analytics and it says google/cpc. Why could this be happening?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion tracking missing conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi bondimedical3, I've seen this occasionally when sites use particular CMS packages, NetSuite for example - for some reason AdWords counts fewer conversions than Analytics, even though Analytics identifies the missing ones as coming from AdWords.  It would seem that on odd occasions the AdWords conversion code is not firing.

If you're not able to find a programmatic reason for this failure for the code to fire (and I've not been able to in the cases I've seen), if you're happy the Analytics data is correct, one solution to getting accurate data inside AdWords is to use imported transactions from Analytics rather than the AdWords conversion.  The only disadvantage here is that the data is delayed by 48 hours.  Remember to turn off the existing AdWords conversion or you'll get double reporting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
The website uses Magento which has a CMS. I have placed the Adwords conversion code on the final order success page and not a CMS page. The code has not been updated for over a year now. Could that have something to do with it?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bondimedical3
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I've had other clients running Magneto that didn't seem to have a problem.  When I referred to "CMS" I actually mean a Content Management System like Magneto as a whole package, rather than a single page.  However, it is interesting that you are running a CMS, given my initial reply...

Keeping sites like this up to date is certainly important, least of all from a security point of view although I'm not sure that'll be the cause.

I'd certainly look to update the site and review, but if you can't solve it, the route via Analytics would be a good option.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits