AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking missing conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I'm driving my ads to an Unbounce landing page, which then sends users to my website where the conversion happens (a store locator search). The conversion is a goal imported from Analytics. AdWords is seeing conversions being recorded, and in Analytics I can see that conversions are coming from the referral traffic that's coming from the Unbounce page, but none of my campaigns are showing any conversions attributed to them. My conversions are set to Last Click attribution.

Do I need to change the attribution to First Click to get them to show in the Conversions column?

Re: Conversion tracking missing conversions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @TIM T,

If your Adwords account is tracking conversions and it is linked to your analytics account then you can view that data within your Analytics under: Acquisition < Adwords < Campaigns.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.39.17 PM.png

In addition, within the secondary dimensions dropdown, you have the granular ability to select different campaign content that you would want to view like: "Ad Content", "Keywords", "Match Type", "Search Query", etc.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.42.37 PM.png

And to evaluate your conversions associated with your campaigns, select your conversion goal that you want to measure in the "conversion" dimensions.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.45.12 PM.png

All that being said, "Auto Tagging" needs to be enabled in your Adwords account in order for that data to be transferred in Analytics. Learn How

Hope this info helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Cameron!

Analytics is seeing the attribution, but AdWords isn't.

My concern is that I want to start testing Target CPA bidding (currently bid strategy is Maximize clicks), but if the conversions aren't being attributed to my campaigns in AdWords, will I be able to?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author TIM T
April

Re: Conversion tracking missing conversions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Tim T,

Your previous statement: "AdWords is seeing conversions being recorded, and in Analytics I can see that conversions are coming from the referral traffic that's coming from the Unbounce page, but none of my campaigns are showing any conversions attributed to them."

I interpreted that as you were seeing conversions in Adwords. So you haven't tracked any conversions in Adwords yet, correct? In Adwords, navigate to Tools < Conversions at the top of the window within the top navigation. What does your status display for your Analytics conversion: "Unverified", "No Recent Conversions", "Recording Conversions", or "Tag Inactive"???

First you want to confirm if your conversions are "no recent conversions" or "recording conversions"...otherwise you won't be able to attribute your Adwords campaigns to your analytics conversions.

Secondly, because you have Analytics connected, you can initiate a Target CPA Bidding. But I would first initiate an Enhanced CPC bidding first. Target CPA will optimize your campaign based off recent conversions, however, if no conversions have been recorded recently then that bidding method won't have enough data to optimize at an efficient level. My theory, and recommendation, is to use ECPC until you gain a substantial amount of conversions and then switch the bidding method back to Target CPA. Target CPA is a powerful bidding tool but you need to give it some juice before giving it free reigns on your campaigns.

Lastly, if you aren't seeing any conversions in Adwords then start tweaking your campaigns. Some Analytics metrics are accessible in your dropdown dimensions in Adwords at the campaign, ad group, and ad level: Columns < Modify Columns < Google Analytics < Bounce Rate 

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 2.50.51 PM.png

Selecting bounce rate will integrate your Analytics bounce rate with the ads that were clicked.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 2.51.03 PM.png

If you have a high bounce rate then check out the search terms that are triggering your keywords. This will give you insight if you should be adding more specific criterias to your keywords (phrase match, exact match) or if you need to add more negative keywords to your list.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 2.51.24 PM.png

Try these methods and it should help out your campaigns. Their isn't a "one-size-fits-all" approach to adwords so just keep on analyzing your data and plug the holes where you see leaks.

Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again @Cameron R!

I had verified in tools>conversions that AdWords was 'recording conversions', but they still weren't showing in the conversions column when viewing campaigns. They magically just appeared though. LOL

Good advice on starting with the ECPC! We are getting ~200 conversions/day. So, hopefully it won't take too long to juice up...

Have a great weekend!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Tim T

Even better! Cheers