AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking in online shop

sv
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
sv
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello AdWords Community

A customer of ours has a website (wordpress) including an online shop, where he offers select products. We only recently started actively advertising the shop with adwords, before that, we were using adwords, but not explicitly sending visitors to the shop page. The new campaigns have now been running for about 2 weeks, and even though the CTRs are outstandingly good for this customer, we still are not measuring any conversions in the shop. A quick look at the analytics data shows that the confirmation page (where the conversion code is embeded) has been viewed 21 times. Are we doing something wrong?

Thank you all for your great help.

sv

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sv
September 2015

Hello sv,   As per my experience, conversions are somethi...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello sv,

As per my experience, conversions are something which doesn't happen instantaneosuly especially in terms of product sale as you mentioned. Generally it takes time to convert a user into a customer. It's good that your campaigns are performing good in terms of CTR.

Few things to look for would be:

1. Do a test conversion by clicking your own ad and completing the buying cycle. Then look at the Adwords report after 24 hrs. to see whether it is showing that test conversion or not.

2. Make sure that you have implemented the Conversion Tracking code under the static part of your HTML check out confirmation page.

3. Look at the Google Analytics and firstly see how many sales you are getting from other traffic sources during the same time period.

4. Look at the search terms report from Adwords and see whether good CTR is due to the relevant traffic or not.

5. Under Google Analytics measure the Bounce Rate of your campaigns and see whether it's average or high. In case it is high, it is alarming for you. You might consider analyzing the Landing pages of your Adwords and they might require some changes in terms of call to actions and all.

Let us know if that helps you or not.

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hello, sv.   Is the conversion code placed on the same do...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, sv.

Is the conversion code placed on the same domain as the adwords landing page? I hope you're not advertising www.example.com and tracking conversions on shop.example.com, right?

Because I'm afraid that if you do that, you'll end up having an AdWords visitor on example.com, which becomes a referral visitor on shop.example.com, and the conversion is not triggered.

Not entirely sure here, but this could be an explanation.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hello sv,   As per my experience, conversions are somethi...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello sv,

As per my experience, conversions are something which doesn't happen instantaneosuly especially in terms of product sale as you mentioned. Generally it takes time to convert a user into a customer. It's good that your campaigns are performing good in terms of CTR.

Few things to look for would be:

1. Do a test conversion by clicking your own ad and completing the buying cycle. Then look at the Adwords report after 24 hrs. to see whether it is showing that test conversion or not.

2. Make sure that you have implemented the Conversion Tracking code under the static part of your HTML check out confirmation page.

3. Look at the Google Analytics and firstly see how many sales you are getting from other traffic sources during the same time period.

4. Look at the search terms report from Adwords and see whether good CTR is due to the relevant traffic or not.

5. Under Google Analytics measure the Bounce Rate of your campaigns and see whether it's average or high. In case it is high, it is alarming for you. You might consider analyzing the Landing pages of your Adwords and they might require some changes in terms of call to actions and all.

Let us know if that helps you or not.

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hello, sv.   Is the conversion code placed on the same do...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, sv.

Is the conversion code placed on the same domain as the adwords landing page? I hope you're not advertising www.example.com and tracking conversions on shop.example.com, right?

Because I'm afraid that if you do that, you'll end up having an AdWords visitor on example.com, which becomes a referral visitor on shop.example.com, and the conversion is not triggered.

Not entirely sure here, but this could be an explanation.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Hi SV,   I had the same thought as Calin. If checkout is...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi SV,

I had the same thought as Calin. If checkout is on a different domain, there are a couple extra things your need to do with your forms to pass the cookie data along. If this is your case, please post back and let us know. I'll dig up the stuff on 3rd party checkout for you.

Best of Luck

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Hey, Pete.   I've seen your post somewhere. Does the AdWo...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey, Pete.

I've seen your post somewhere. Does the AdWords cookie get "transported" as well? I know you can do some utmLinker stuff to link domains in Analytics, but have you ever had any success triggering an AdWords conversion after moving from one domain to another.

To be honest I've never tried anything like that.

[Later edit]: this may work, actually, as far as I can see it's the _utmz carrying all the info, gclid included, so it may well get transported.

Is it possible that the user could abandon the conversion...

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Is it possible that the user could abandon the conversion funnel, before the confirmation page, yet still complete the transaction? 

It's not adwords conversion code, but... If the analytics seems to be reporting accurately, could you create a confirmation goal in the analytics? You could then import that goal, or not, but at least you would have something to work with, other than pouring through content reports...

These 21 pageviews are from adwords users correct - Not total pageviews - all sources?

Tom

Thank you all for your help and great advice To answer so...

sv
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
sv
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for your help and great advice

To answer some of your questions.

- The Conversion code isplaced on the same domain as the landing page

- The Page views are from Adwords sources (cpc)

In the mean time we have been able to measure a conversion...Smiley Happy

Thanks Again, you guys are great.

sv

Glad sv that the conversion was recorded and thanks for u...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Glad sv that the conversion was recorded and thanks for updating the Community on this Smiley Happy