AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking - What is actually measured?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

I have a question regarding what is measured with conversion tracking.

Let's see the following example:

A user clicks on my ad on Aug 15 and he/she is directed to my landing page (www.example.com/landingpage).

No conversion occurs on the spot, but my user remembers my brand on Aug 20th, visits my homepage and converts from there. Is this conversion assigned to his first click through adwords and the landing page I am using or it is ignored?

Thanks in advance

PS: This help article from AdWords help is not very specific on the timings of conversion

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion tracking - What is actually measured?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sofiask,

Ideally, If the conversion occurs within 30 days of the click on your ad, Adwords will track this conversion giving credit to the keyword that got the user to your landing page provided your thankyou page/conversion code is the same...

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi sofiask,

Adding to what Shweta said above, my understanding is that Adwords will record the conversion because the first source of click here is Adwords and will give the weightage to the ad copy clicked and the closest keyword in your Adwords account. Additionally the conversion occured in less than 30 days time period, so a latent conversion will be added into your account.

But just in case if you are using Google Analytics as well, so Analytics will give the credit conversion to the last visit occured, which ended up in a conversion. Hence Analytics will update it with a conversion as Direct, but in Google Adwords interface you can see the conversion adding up as well. So, it's just the way how both products calculate and assign the conversions.

Read this article for more insights.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sofiask,

One other thing not coverd by previous posts here, the conversion will be recorded on the date of the actual click, not the date of the sale. Analytics will report the conversion on the date of the sale.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your answer and the article!

It's very helpful!