AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tag inactive

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hello,

Some of my conversion tags have the status 'Tag inactive'. 

What could be the problem here? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Re: Conversion tag inactive

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

A conversion tag becomes inactive when it has been verified in the past but has not seen a conversion in the last 7 days.

This could be because you have a very low volume conversion point or because something has changed on your website recently, such as a new 'thank you page' or someone has removed the conversion code.

Are you able to get to the conversion code on the website and verify that it is in the correct place and tracking? Google tag assistant would be great for helping diagnose problems here.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

A conversion tag becomes inactive when it has been verified in the past but has not seen a conversion in the last 7 days.

This could be because you have a very low volume conversion point or because something has changed on your website recently, such as a new 'thank you page' or someone has removed the conversion code.

Are you able to get to the conversion code on the website and verify that it is in the correct place and tracking? Google tag assistant would be great for helping diagnose problems here.

Hope this helps

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable
Hi Clynton,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I have made the conversion tag with GTM. I can't see the tag with tag assistant.

In GTM the tag is firing correctly.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

In GTM, have there been any changes since the tag has gone inactive? You can see this by going to the overview tab on the left and you will see any recent activity. There may be a change to the conversion tag, or perhaps the variables used (if you use a variable for the conversion ID). If you are unsure you can roll back to a previous version where the tag was working (if there have been changes since) and see if that fixes the issue.

What is your firing rule in GTM, and how do you know that it is firing correctly? (are you firing your conversion tag on an event or a page?)

In order to see the conversion tag with tag asisstant you have to be on the actual page where the conversion is, if however, your conversion tag is firing through a custom event then you may not see it with Tag assistant (if the event is being pushed through after a successful purchase as opposed to an actual page). If they conversion tag is firing on an actual page then Tag assistant should be able to see it when you are on that page.

Perhaps use the Tag assistant recording tool and go through the conversion process yourself, this will then be able to tell you if the tag was seen.

You can also use the GTM preview tool to ensure that the correct tags are firing on the correct events.

Do you normally see conversions every day?

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable
Hello,

I haven't touched the settings in GTM.

I'm firing my tag on an event.

The GTM preview tool shows that the tags are firing.

I think It's a low volume problem in my case.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

If it all seems to be working correctly then it may very likely just simply be a volume issue. Maybe check back in a few days and see if there has been a change.

Feel free to post back if the problem persists.

Good Luck