AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion reports wrong over the weekend???

adm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
adm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google AdWords,

Over the weekend a number of our account campaigns experienced what now appears to be significant reporting errors on conversion counts for 36 hours from 12:00 AM PDT on 9 Jun 2012 till about 12:00 PM PDT on 10 Jun 2012.  
We collect and save campaign performance data on regular basis, and the data clearly shows elevated conversion counts (up to 10x) being reported during this period that is now showing significantly lower conversions counts. Even the hourly data through AdWords does not show this elevated period of conversion reporting now; it has all been corrected. But this does not change that the information we were provided for 36 hours by AdWords API was significantly wrong, resulting in money being lost due to this misinformation on conversions.
What happened? How is this possible?
Our clients that experienced this invalid reporting made decisions and lost significant money during this 36 hour period of misreporting.  How can this be addressed?
Help in understanding and resolving is appreciated.
Best regards, 
ADM
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion reports wrong over the weekend???

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adm,

You're not alone in your discovery, actually here is a recent quote from Laura - Google Engineer from this thread.

"This morning there was a nasty bug in the way we display conversions in the user interface.  The on-call engineers started rolling out a fix around noon California time and it was rolled out everywhere a couple of hours later.  Your conversions should now be displayed properly.

I should emphasize that this was only a user interface problem.  The conversions recorded in our database are correct, and the display problem in the UI should not affect billing, quality scores, CTR predictions, or anything else.  I'm not trying to minimize the problem, just to forestall some questions.

Laura

AdWords engineer"

Hope this clarifies a bit for you.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

adm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
adm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PPCBossMan,

Thank you for helping me understand this situation better. 

The posting by Laura (Google Engineer) does correspond to when it was apparently noticed and fixed. It was fixed very close to 12:00 PM PDT on Sunday, 10 Jun 2012.

This affected over 1/3 of the accounts we manage, and providing for 36 hours clearly wrong conversion numbers. These conversion counts could be off by over 30x. 

It is not correct that it was just an AdWords Display interface issue, because all our data comes from AdWords API calls. 

You help in clarifying this issue is greatly appreciated. 

Best regards, 

ADM

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ADM,

I can completley understand your situation.

Personally, I'm not an API user so hopefully someone else can come along and help you further.  Maybe Laura will stop in and either clarify further or verify your findings as well.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello adm;

This is surely an issue that requires Google's engineers response and attention. I referred it to Google to comment

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
This is something that affected entire
AdWords.
https://groups.google.com/a/google.com/forum/#!topic/ads-escalations/_AkPMddmrtE

ADM, your query has been resolved over your post on the AdWords API Forum.
Let us know if anything else.

Thanks,
Rashmi

adm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
adm
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The link you provide I can not view. I do not have a login to "Moma". 

I have reviewed the replies to my posting on AdWords API; I do not see any resolution. They told me to come here, and then later another API person acknowledged there was a "temporary" outage. I guess 36 hours is temporary, though it certainly did not feel such. 

Basically none of my questons got addressed. 

Regards, 

ADM

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a detailed question or comment.

Thank you.