AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion for the same page has different quantities? (Analytics Goal and Adwords Conversion)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Trying to understand how this is possible.

In my Adwords conversions I have various conversions (goals) imported from Analytics and then one single Adwords conversion.  The two in question are for the exact same page (my 'order complete' page) with the only difference being one is recorded in Analytics through an event and the other is setup in Adwords.

More specifically the imported analytics goal conversion :

Name : Order Completed
Source : Analytics
Category : Purchase/Sale
Tracking Status : Recording conversions
Conversion Window : 30 days
Count : Every

Include in conversions : No

Repeat rate : 1.00

All conversions : 4.00

All conv. value : 0.00

and the Adwords conversion :

Name : Order Complete
Source : Website
Category : Purchase/Sale
Tracking Status : Recording conversions 
Conversion Window : 30 days
Count : Every

Include in conversions : Yes

Repeat rate : 1.00

All conversions : 6.00

All conv. value : 499.35

As you can see the 'All conversions' does not match up.  These are both triggered on the exact same page so I don't see how the 'All conversions' for these can ever be different.  How can that be?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Conversion for the same page has different quantities? (Analytics Goal and Adwords Conversion)

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

The first thing I would look at is the 6 AdWords conversions and find out if they are unique. Are they all on different days? If any are on the same day, go to the Search Terms report and see if they are for the same search query. If they are, look at Dimensions like location, hour of day, to see if they are actually the same sale.

If they are unique, do all the other stats in Analytics and AdWords match up?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is another example from today specifically that baffles me. I have an Anaylytics goal setup for each step of the order process (2 steps then the completed order). These are my conversions in Adwords (tools-> conversions) today :

anaytics step 1 = 1

analytics step 2 = 1

analytics order complete = 0

adwords order complete = 1

So here Adwords recorded a conversion from my ads. The only way an order can happen is if all three steps of the order process happen YET only the first two were recorded - there is no completed order conversion for the Anaytics imported goal (which should not be possible).

I know the tracking is implemented correctly and conversions are recorded, but this is an example of something that shouldn't be possible - like it isn't recording 'everything' all the time.  This can't be a delay/lag of the data coming into Adwords or all three of them would be zero as they happen in succession. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Stephen,

It seems clear that the problem is with your goal, analytics order complete. Although for an order complete page, normally it would work all the time or not at all. By best guess is that the URL of the page varies, and you are only catching some of the variations with your goal. Look through all of the pageviews for day and try to find a URL for the order complete page that your goal wouldn't capture.

Re: Conversion for the same page has different quantities? (Analytics Goal and Adwords Conversion)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nope - that is 100% not the case. The url never changes and there are no parameters. This is simply not being recorded all the time apparently. 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hmmm... on the order complete page, could the Analytics code be at the bottom of the page and not loading before the user leaves?