AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion code placement in ecommerce site

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running an AdWords campaign for an e-commerce site in which the user goes through a series of pages to book a ticket and at the end gets a "thank you for your purchase" page. It would be easy enough to place the conversion code on this last page. However, the way the site is set up, all the pages in the buying sequence, including "thank you," have the same url (say, /booking.aspx). So the code appears on every page of the buying sequence. I think AdWords is recording multiple conversions per sale.

Apart from creating a new "thank you" page (which might disturb the existing page structure), is there any way to place the code so it records each sale only once?

Thank you.

Re: Conversion code placement in ecommerce site

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

The best way for you is to setup a virtual pageview in Google analytics when someone hits the book now button. In this way you can track only the people who have booked. Then you can import these goals from Google analytics to Adwords.

Siva.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Siva. I don't know how to set up a virtual pageview in GA. Can you point to any article that has instructions on how to do this?

Secondly, GA will count all bookings, not just from those who have landed on the site via AdWords. Any way to control for that?

Thanks.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Let me get that the instructions for you. Yes, it will count all the conversions but when you import it will only bring in conversions which happened through google ads so not a problem.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Once you setup virtual pageview then you need to configure a goal.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Great, thanks for your help! I will look through the article.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Siva, That is an excellent article, which I have bookmarked. According to the article, I need to add a line of code to the page or event I want to track (he has used Contact Form 7 as an example). However, that brings up my original issue, which is that if I add any code it will appear on multiple pages.

Thanks.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Send me your website so that i can take a look.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your offer. Unfortunately, I can't do that because of my NDA with the client (the site's owner).