AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Which is more accurate for conversion tracking, google analytics or google adwords?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Tracking

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Greg ,

I would recommend Analytics because it provides information also about organic conversions , and through multi-channel funnels you can see which keywords to keep because they preceded an organic or direct conversion with an assist click.

Also goal setup can provide information like conversion rate for every "keyword position" , the last analytics report in the list.

As for accuracy, you can check the expanding explanations from this page , at the section "Discrepancies in Clicks and Visits"

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dear Greg,
Conversion tracking depends on what you are trying to track. Is it e-commerce or just some regular subscription or form submission that you want to track. When you are looking for paid/pay per click marketing Adwords would be the ideal choice. If you are not looking in to pay per click marketing and simply concentrate on conversions through organic search results Google Analytics is the best. Google Analytics provides the flexibility to track conversions from Adwords too.
In terms of accuracy goals in Google Analytics count a completion at the exact time a visitor reaches the goal completion URL location. For example: a prospect fills out the lead generation form and is taken to the /thank-you.html page to receive the white paper download – at that moment that action is counted. This is unlike AdWords conversion tracking which attributes ‘the win’ to the time of the last ad click BEFORE conversion. Meaning a person clicks an ad, bookmarks the landing page, clicks off the site but within 30 days came back to the website via bookmark and filled out the lead generation form – that original click on that ad (even though the success action happened days later), was just attributed as a conversion. I would say in terms of paid marketing Adwords is most accurate than Google Analytics.

Best Regards,
Santhosh Lakkaraju.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Greg L,

It's really not a matter of which is more accurate. Each system tracks differently. Both will provide accurate data when you understand how each system attributes conversions.

If you use Analytics only, you will miss some of the AdWords conversions as Analytics attributes to the last source while AdWords will claim the conversion if it happens within 30 days of the click. You can resolve some of these with the multi-channel funnel report.

My recommendation: Set up both, but be careful not to double count your conversions. If you have the AdWords conversion code on the final page, do not import Analytics Goals or transactions as conversions. The advantage of the AW conversion code is it will work on any domain, such as a 3rd party domain for checkout without any extra code added.

If it is an eCommerce site, consider setting up eCommerce tracking on your site and import the transactions as conversions. In this case, do not place the AW conversion code on the page.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Greg L

yes i agree it depends on what you are trying to track. I would recommend Adwords for lead tracking. I have been using it for years. It is simple to see what keywords are converting and at what cost and if the cost is an acceptable one or not. If it it too high then pause it and try other ones. If the keywords have no conversions then pause them. Simple.

You can set this either one per click or many per click. One per click conversion counts a conversion as one conversion even if that person converts more than once in 30 days. Many per click counts a conversion every time they convert. I personally think it is best to have many per click as a lead is a lead.

I hope this helps you

Kind regards

Feilim