AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to track the effectiveness of my AdWords campaigns to aquire newsletter signups. Right now each campaign has a unique landing page but the signup form is the same on all the pages. Upon completion the subscriber is sent to a universal thank you page which we are tracking via google analytics.

My question is there a way using the AdWords Conversion Tracker tool to track each campaign on that one universal thank you page? Or will I need to create a unique thank you page for each Conversion?

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: Conversion Tracking

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

If there is one thank you confirmation page for all sign ups, and you want to track the thank you page as a conversion, you only need to put the code on the thank you page. When an adwords user clicks on an ad, and completes a conversion, that conversion is the same throughout the account. You don't need conversion code for every campaign like you do for certain other PPC advertising platforms. One thank you page, one conversion code installed on that page, and your set.

However, if you already have analytics set up, you can create a thank you page view goal in analytics, then import that goal as an adwords conversion, and you wouldn't have to add any additional code.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375435

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404031&from=55515&rd=1

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

As a reference for all interested in Conversion Tracking, here are two excellent pieces of advice from Kim, a Top Contributor:

AdWords Conversion Tracking video

AdWords Conversion Tracking Wiki article

E

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

If there is one thank you confirmation page for all sign ups, and you want to track the thank you page as a conversion, you only need to put the code on the thank you page. When an adwords user clicks on an ad, and completes a conversion, that conversion is the same throughout the account. You don't need conversion code for every campaign like you do for certain other PPC advertising platforms. One thank you page, one conversion code installed on that page, and your set.

However, if you already have analytics set up, you can create a thank you page view goal in analytics, then import that goal as an adwords conversion, and you wouldn't have to add any additional code.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375435

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404031&from=55515&rd=1

Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Rose,

In continuation with what Tom said above, I would like to add that Conversion Tracking is such an important ROI tool given by Adwords which I believe that you should install it ASAP in addition to Google Analytics which you already are measuring.

You don't need to create separate conversion tracking codes for separate Campaigns because it is calculated on the account basis and you can dig from Campaign to the Keyword level reporting to actually see how your Campaigns are performing and which ad copies, which keywords are successfully leading to newsletter sign ups for you.

Or will I need to create a unique thank you page for each Conversion?

Now, it really depends how you actually want to save the newsletter sign ups. As per my experience, we have one client for which there are separate thank you pages for separate landing pages (but conversion tracking is unique and only one) and we have it installed on all thanks pages. Reason being that the client had requirements to set up the leads information in the database and our programmers did it that way.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

As a reference for all interested in Conversion Tracking, here are two excellent pieces of advice from Kim, a Top Contributor:

AdWords Conversion Tracking video

AdWords Conversion Tracking Wiki article

E

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone,

I configured the conversion and added the snippet to the thank you page. I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Well done Rose, and please let us know when you see the results also Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone the conversion tracker is reporting.

One more question to differentiate a purchase from a signup I would create a new conversion tracker and then link that one to our shopping cart confirmation page, correct?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hello again Rose,

That is correct. You can create a separate conversion tracking code for sign ups so that both the codes are different i.e. for sign ups and sales. When somebody fills up the sign up form, the specific code for that runs and Adwords records it and same process for sales completion so that Adwords record it separately.

Pankaj