AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking on WordPress website without Thank you page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My WordPress website has several landing pages, there is one contact form on the contact page and I do not use thank you page (as per the guidance of the author of the contact form plugin - the AJAX form submission is tracked as an event in Analytics).

Adwords' conversion tracing does not work properly, I experience the following behaviour:

1. When someone (third party) arrives directly to the site/contact page and fills the form, it is recorded in Analytics as a conversion and obviously not in Adwords.

2. When someone (third party) clicks an Adwords ad, visits the landing page then goes to the contact page and fills the form, it is recorded neither on Analytics nor on Adwords. (At least I suppose they get to the site via Adwords ad when analysing the content of the enquiries and Adwords data regarding to clicks and search terms.)

3. When I sent a test message directly from the contact page, it was not recorded by Analytics (and not by Adwords).

4. When I clicked on my own Adwords ad, that was linked to a landing page, and visited the contact page via the landing page and sent the form, it was recorded neither by Analytics not by Adwords.

5. When I linked my ad directly to the contact page and then clicked my ad and filled the form, it was recorded by both Analytics and Adwords.

I am not experienced in Adwords conversion tracking and I do not understand this behaviour. Could you please help me to understand why the conversion tracking is not reliable on my site/account? Can it be the fault of the WP plugin or it is more likely that I did not set up the account correctly?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Vera

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Tracking on WordPress website without Thank you page

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vera,

How is the GA event set up and where have you told the AdWords code to fire?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thank you for your answer.

It is: on_sent_ok: "ga('send', 'event', 'Contact Page Form', 'submit');"

where 'Contact Page Form' is the id for the form. (I use Contact form 7).

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vera,

And the AdWords conversion tracking or are you importing GA events into AdWords and using those?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the Analytics and Adwords accounts linked. I have a goal set on Analytics (with following setting: Goal description: type - Event; Goal details: Action Equals to submit; Use the Event value as the Goal Value for the conversion: YesSmiley Wink and this is imported to Adwords. Thanks.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vera,

Thanks for the answers.

Ok so there are a couple of things that could be going on here. The first is possibly a time delay. GA can take 30 minutes to a few hours for the reports in GA to update, the other time delay is based on the GA to AdWords import. I have heard that this has improved but the time that I usually go by is up to 72 hours for all data to be imported.

There are also some discrepancies about what is reported in GA and what is reported in AdWords and for that you need to understand how they attribute conversions.

GA attributes conversions to the session in which the conversion occured and AdWords attributes the conversion to the last click on an ad that had the conversion. So in can easily happen that a conversion today could be imported to AdWords and be attributed to a click that occured last week. So if you look at GA and Adwords for a single day the numbers will not balance.

Then there is the fact of invalid clicks, the click has to be accepted by AdWords in order for a conversion to be attributed to it. So if for whatever reason the invalid click algorithm decides that a legitimate click was invalid and you are refunded for the click but that click led to a conversion. GA will record that conversion and import it to AdWords but AdWords will not record that conversion as there is no valid click to assign it to.

If you look at your invalid click ratio in AdWords you will usually find a similar discrepancy in conversions recorded by GA and then imported and recorded in AdWords.

it is possible that there are other factors at play here but from the littel I can tell about your set up it seems ok.

If you are unsure and would like to try another set up there are a few other options. GTM being one of them, but a non-standard trigger setup would be required as you mentioned that it is an AJAX form submit. I am not sure how familiar you are with GTM but this may be worth looking in to.

There could be an issue with the Ga event firing correctly but this is something you would have to test yourself and it is unlikely to be related to a particular way in which the user got to the form, although not out of the question.

It is an interesting situation but there are 2 many discrepancies in the way the events are being recorded that leads me to believe if anything it is an underlying problem in the firing of the event and not in the way the user gets to the form.

The fact that it has worked on both platforms at some point speaks to this further, as I have already spoken to why AdWords & GA would have discrepancies.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Some additional thoughts for you...

1. Contact Form 7 can be set to send submitters to a thank you page. I've used this dozens of times and it works well
http://contactform7.com/redirecting-to-another-url-after-submissions/

2. Some Analytics plugins ignore visits from logged in WordPress admins.