AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking and Goals -- Going across multiple domains or subdomains?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Google AdWords Conversion Tracking and Google Analytics Goals are both powerful tools that provide insight into if your website users are performing actions that are of value to your business.

AdWords Conversion Tracking runs off of a 3rd party cookie - when you click on an AdWords ad for a specific account, a cookie is set to the browser. For Google Search, this cookie is set against the domain www.googleadservices.com.  With AdWords Conversion Tracking, it is possible to put your account's Conversion Tracking code on a separate domain than the domain you are sending your ad traffic to and have the conversion details attributed back correctly. For more information on AdWords Conversion Tracking, please see this Help Center article.

On the other hand, Google Analytics tracks using a first party cookie, so there is additional setup needed if you’re taking users across different domains. If you’re taking users across a top level domain and subdomain (such as www.site1.com and store.site1.com), then you’ll need to make sure you set up your Analytics tracking code to support subdomain tracking. If you’re taking users across multiple top level domains (such as www.site1.com and www.site2.com), then you’ll need to make sure you set up your Analytics tracking code to support cross domain tracking. If you send information between the domains using links or forms, you’ll want to make sure you customize those links as explained in this article. For more information on Analytics goals, please see this Help Center article.

If you’re interested in other differences and finding out which tracking method would best suit your needs between AdWords Conversion Tracking and Analytics Goals, I would recommend this article.

I hope this helps clarifies setup for you!

Best of luck,
Tiffany

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Tracking and Goals -- Going across multiple domains or subdomains?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tiffany,

Thanks for the explanation.

From my understanding, the 3rd party vs. 1st party cookie can also result in the Adwords cookie getting deleted more often than the analytics cookie.

Re: Conversion Tracking and Goals -- Going across multiple domains or subdomains?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the post.

I have a client who owns a b&b and their booking system is handled by a 3rd party merchant company called webervations, so according to the OP I just insert the adwords conversion code onto the webervations account just like I would on the primary site and Adwords will connect the dots and track the conversion correctly?

With analytics, I'm not sure how the tracking code was set up. But I can see the page hits from webervations (third party site) on the analytics account. Does that mean its already been setup to include hits from multiple domains?

Re: Conversion Tracking and Goals -- Going across multiple domains or

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What if you don't want to set up cross domain Analytics tracking, rather cross domain AdWords conversion tracking?  Is there a way to successfully put the AdWords conversion tracking code snippet on a third party site? Thanks, MC

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

MissyCook wrote:

What if you don't want to set up cross domain Analytics tracking, rather cross domain AdWords conversion tracking?  Is there a way to successfully put the AdWords conversion tracking code snippet on a third party site? Thanks, MC

Missy, I belive this was answered already above;

With AdWords Conversion Tracking, it is possible to put your account's Conversion Tracking code on a separate domain than the domain you are sending your ad traffic to and have the conversion details attributed back correctly.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

HI Tiffany

Thanks for detailed explanation about cookies,

I have a question about analytics goals which are imported in adwords as conversion.

• Analytics goal >> imported to adwords as conversion
  • In this case it will only use analytics cookie if i am not wrong
  • Attribution modelling will be last non-direct channel
  • In this case if i compare goal completions in analytics via paid search with conversions in adwords (imported from analytics)
  • Why there should be any discrepancy?

This issue has been haunting me for quite a while now and i am not able to get any logical reason behind it

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm curious about this as well. Anyone know?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Inside of AdWords under Tools > Conversions > I have a conversion that is setup to basically count visits to a webpage for example, https://secure.domainone.com/register.php. Will tracking still work correctly if I send AdWords traffic to domaintwo.com and link from that domain to domaintwo.com for users to purchase the product. Technically their path would be as follow: AdWords Ad > domaintwo.com > domainone.com > secure.domainone.com > thank you. I don't have the AdWords conversion pixel on our checkout thank you page.

Thanks for your help.

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Brad S - great question.

Yes - even if an ad sends someone to one domain and the conversion pixel is on a different domain, the conversion will defintiely track in Google Adwords. I have quite a few clients who have this type of setup. This is the beauty of a conversion pixel vs. conversion tracking setup though Google Analytics.

Note: Based on what you have written, you will be receiving "conversions" for someone visiting the Register webpage. The same would work, if you would put the conversion pixel on the checkout thank you page - then you could track conversions from there as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a really similar case to Brad's (Adwords ad > domainone.com > domaintwo.com > buttonclick), but we've taken the other approach: Cross domain tracking in analytics, and importing the goals into AdWords. The goal/conversion is an event (button click).

The hangup: I'm not able to see conversions in adwords. I know they're happening (we direct most adwords clicks to a landing page that is only accessible if you click on an ad or know the URL, and I can see the conversions in analytics). I've imported the goals into adwords and the views in analytics are connected with the adwords account.

I wonder if this is expected behavior (meaning, am I asking Analytics/Adwords to do something they're not designed to do)?

I don't want to lose the event tracking in analytics for non-adwords conversions - is it possible and advisable to have both the analytics event tracking and the conversion pixel from adwords connected to the same event (button click in this case)?

Thanks for your help.