AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking Over 30 Days

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, Google places cookies that allow them to identify if someone converted up to 30 days later.

I want to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly:

Cookie expiration dates

• AdWords cookies expire 30 days after a customer's click, while Analytics uses a cookie that lasts six months to two years. That means if a customer completed a conversion 31 days after clicking on an AdWords ad, the conversion wouldn't be recorded in AdWords but would be in Analytics.

So, conversely, if someone does complete a converision within 31 days, it will be recorded in AdWords and connected to a particular ad?  We have a sign up page for couples that we believe people will wait to fill out until after they've discussed with a partner, but we want to know whether we can track which ads led people to returning to fill out the survey later.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Conversion Tracking Over 30 Days

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ourrelationship,

Yes, tracked conversions are attached to campaigns, ad groups, keywords and ads.

You should make sure to install your conversion tracking code on the confirmation/thank you page that follows a successful form submission.

Each time a user clicks on an ad, a cookie is placed.  That cookie is set to expire in 30 days.  If a user clicks an ad, only once, and waits 31 days to convert, it will not be registered in AdWords as a conversion. 

You can also find out more about conversion tracking here:

Setting up conversion tracking

Understanding conversion tracking

Measure Results with AdWords Conversion Tracking By Kim_Clink

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much!  I'm very relieved I found this page, I'm a beginner at this and I often find that the Google help pages can be vague/confusing so I never know if they are saying what I think they are saying.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You're most welcome!

I felt the same when I first found the AdWords Community. Help is available 24/7 - 365 here (almost) Smiley Happy !!

Please come back with any further issues/questions, there are lots of folks here willing to help out.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi ourrelationship,

Happy to hear that you rely on the valuable advice from this Community.

Thanks,

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to get my head around the day the conversion is attributed to, is it the day of the click or conversion?

for example if someone clicks on an ad, then clicks on an ad again 10 days later and then visits the website direct 10 days further again, which day would the conversion be attributed to?

this shows 3 levels in the conversion funnel.

I read it is attributed to the click, so do i need to look back 20 days in adwords to see the conversion? or will i see it as a conversion on that day in adwords?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi 

Lets take an example

• User clicks on ad using keyword "running shoes" on 1st May: Doesnt convert
  • Same user clicks on ad on using keyword "jogging shoes" 10th may: Doent convert
  • Same user comes back as direct using on 20th of may: Converts

Here is attribution

• Keyword "jogging shoes" will be attributed to conversion (last click)
  • Date attributed to conversion will be 10th of may

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, I have a question related to this topic too: What will be recorded in Google Analytics in the scenario above? Will this be counted as cpc or direct registration? If this registration is going to be assigned to Direct in GA, will this create some major differences in Registrations counts? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I stumble upon your question, even if it's a bit late.

In the scenario above, as the last step before the direct visit which lead to the conversion is Adwords, the conversion on Analytics basically should be "Adwords". If there is another step before the direct, it should be the source of this step.

Take care that in Analytics, conversion is counted the day it's done. In Adwords, it's the day the click was done.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’