AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking: Multi-step measurement over long time period.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This question is for an adwords model where the ultimate conversion happens days or even months after the initial click/form conversion.

Here's an example of the business flow and tracking.

1 - Visitor clicks (adwords tracks)

2 - Visitor fills out form (adwords tracks)

3 - Visitor is contacted (tracked internally and manually tied back to click)

4 - Visitor converts to a customer (tracked internally and manually tied back to click)

Steps 1 and 2 are easy to track in adwords . . . but I'd like to use offline conversion pixels for steps 3 and 4 so that we can track them directly in adwords. Ideally we'd be able to track a step 4 conversion all the way back to the campaign, ad group and ad that was served.

Does anyone know how/if this can be achieved?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt H
September 2015

Re: Conversion Tracking: Multi-step measurement over long time period.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matt H,

AdWords has a new feature that does exactly this, updates your conversion data from a manual file upload.

The key to this is to capture the gclid with the first click. It won't be available after that. You can set a cookie for your domain that carries the gclid. When the prospect fills out your form, get the gclid from the cookie and store it in your database. When the prospect converts to a customer, send the conversion data to AdWords.

Look for "offline conversion tracking with AdWords Conversion Import".

Best of Luck!

pete

I'm not sure about using AdWords conversions to track step 3.
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Conversion Tracking: Multi-step measurement over long time period.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm don't think my ideal situation cannot be accommodated - it would require 3 conversion fields that could be triggered by separate calls to the Adwords API. I guess using the offline pixel is the best we can do.