AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Notification

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My client has a website that we advertise on AdWords, filled with Forms (name / phone number / email). If someone fills out a form, they are brought to the standard "Thank You" page, that we have a conversion tracking code placed on. It is tracking properly in Adwords.

What the client wants is basically an email notification when an Adwords Conversion triggers. That is to say, an email alert when someone fills out a form, and it originated from the customer clicking on a Text Ad.

I know you can have reports send through Adwords / Analytics, but that doesn't quite cut it, and includes too much data. All we want is when the conversion code fires and sends its data to Google, we want a separate email to be send saying "Hey, the form that just got filled out came from a text ad"

I thought this would be relatively simple, but it is proving to be more difficult than anticipated. Does anyone have suggetions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Notification

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jayme,

I think I have a way you could get this to work.

You could get the form to collect referrer data from the URL in a hidden field and if this field is completed with a defined medium, get the form to email to the client.

If you use the example below and get the form to include medium=cpc as the additional hidden field, if the medium=cpc appears in the form, get the form to email to the client.

http://www.example.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=adwords

You can use the URL builder to help you create the tracking URL's

I have used value track to get a lot of additional information about clicks that gets submitted into our database and this should be a fairly simple method to do what you want.

Let me know id this helps you.

Re: Conversion Notification

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jayme,

Purefuzz has a great suggestion for you, but it could be difficult to implement. You really need to capture the incoming URL from the AdWords click when the visitor first hits your landing page. Following purefuzz's procedure here, you will only be able to capture the AdWords data if your form is on the landing page and the visitor submits the form without visiting any other pages on your site. Otherwise, the referrer data will be lost and you won't get email for every AdWords conversion.

A simple (but still not necessarily easy) way to do this, if you do not need to capture specific AdWords data like campaign, ad group or keyword, is to look for the presence of a gclid value in the incoming request URL for your landing page. If a value is present, it is an AdWords visit. Then I set my own cookie for the domain that identifies the visitor as having come from AdWords.

When the visitor submits the form, look for your AdWords cookie. If it is present, send your email out.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords