AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Conv. (1/click) vs GA Goal Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gurus,

I am looking at Google Adwords Conv. (1/click) and Google Analytics - Goal reports and found that both mumbers differ quite a lot.

I guess, it is normal but do you see the same thing ?

Bottom line, I just need a report to tell me whether my PPC is effectively converting to sales or not.

Thanks.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Conv. (1/click) vs GA Goal Conversions

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

hi turftycoon

AdWords and analytics track in different ways so you will get a variation in the stats coming through.

Are you looking at them over a small date range? yesterday and today for example? AdWords stats are imported every 24-48 hours into analytics.

As long as you have the conversion code installed correctly these figures should be pretty accurate.

Analytics can track multiple goals for one visitor if they do more than one goal action but AdWords 1 per click would only track a single conversion.

I hope this helps you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi turftycoon,

As mentioned above, Google Adwords and Analytics both have different ways of attributing conversions/goals. To give you an example: if user 'A' comes to the site through a paid ad on the 25th and does not convert, but comes back on the 28th via a direct visit and converts, then the goal conversion in Analytics will be reflected ion the 28th, but Adwords will still show it on the 25th due to its tracking wherein it gives credit to the first click that led the user to the site through PPC (if on the 28th, he clicks on another PPC ad then the conversion will be attributed to the 28th in Adwords as well)

The same logic applies to many per click conversions as well, Google Anaytics will show those as separate goal conversions. Hence, a better comparision would be to compare the many/click numbers with Analytics.

If you are unsure about tracking, then you should check if the correct conversion code is present on the thank you page and that the code is executing as needed. Try doing a test conversion on Google and check the source code of the TY page for the code snippet, you can also see the conversion label on the TY page if you have selected for it to be displayed.

You should also check if the Analytics goal has been setup correctly.

If the Adwords code is setup as needed, then it will give you accurate information regarding the performance of your campaigns. Google Analytics will give you an overall perspective on how your website is performing and how different sources are working together to drive traffic and conversions for you (Multi Channel Funnels) 

Cheers,

Nikhil 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I just need a simple stats to tell me whether it is contributing to sales or not.

Enough for me to make decision to continue or scale up or slash the campaign.

For the conversion in my Adwords account, I am just using a single URL as the final destination page where as in GA, I did specify visitor need to go through 4 steps / pages to be counted as goal.

Both conversion and GA are pretty new to me and I know we cannot rely 100%. I do use my in house reports to verify the numbers but the figure from GA are too far out compared to the one in Adwords.

I did check the codes needed are setup correctly.

Do you face this kind of issue ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So, it data will be updated in Adwords again and I will noticed that my 1-click conversion will fluctuate and the numbers could be different due to sales coming in late.