AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Contradicting information

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all!

It's been a week since I started improving the SEO of my company. One of the major problems I'm encountering is contradicting information between my historical data and Google's keyword planner.

It could be possible that I overlooked something, but how could one keyword achieve 800 impressions in three months if the average search volume doesnt even reach 10 a month? 

Thank you very much for your time.

Matthijs

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Contradicting information

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Go with your actual data and not the keyword planner data. The keyword planner is only a tool to help estimate traffic. Your historicals are the accurate "hard" data.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Go with your actual data and not the keyword planner data. The keyword planner is only a tool to help estimate traffic. Your historicals are the accurate "hard" data.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Matthijs,

I agree with Shanee that the Keyword Planner data should be used as more of an estimate. I have seen significant differences in the provided search volumes and actuals from my accounts. That being said, there are a couple things to note when using the Keyword Planner to maximize data accuracy:

1) Ensure that the Targeting settings in the Keyword Planner are exactly the same as the campaign that the keyword will be active in. An easy one to miss is Google vs. Google with search partners.

2) If a keyword is seasonal in nature then use a historical date range that accounts for that.

3) The Avg. Monthly Search volume in the Keyword Planner is for the exact search term. For example, if the Keyword Planner said that the average monthly search volume on the term [brown boots] was 100 and then the keyword brown boots was added as broad match to the actual account, there would be way more than 100 impressions.

4) Adding on to point three, even if you are bidding on an exact match keyword it will still show for numerous queries due to "close variant matching" (see link below). Close variations include misspellings, singular forms, plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. So there's no need to separately add close variations as keywords. I would recommend looking at your search term report to determine the number of queries matching to your keyword.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope this helps,
-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.