AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Confused about conversion tracking in AdWords & GA

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I work for a hotel business and want to track e-commerce conversion and value for first touch and last touch. 

To give you a bit of background I inherited an AdWords account which had conversion tracking set up for 'booking calls' rather than e-commerce purchases. As a result I didn't rely on this and used GA to analyse conversions and value i.e. under acquisitions section. Just before Christmas I got this changed to track first touch:

Capture2.PNG

However with this setup I've noticed differences between what it's showing my on AdWords versus last touch data on the model comparison tool:

AdWords.PNG

GA.png

The question therefore is:

1. Why is this incorrect?

2. What column name shows conversion value amount on AdWords (is it total converted value?)

2. Can I enable conversion tracking for both first and last touch on AdWords?

Thanks

Darroch

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Confused about conversion tracking in AdWords & GA

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Darroch,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Attribution is a complex thing, so it makes sense that you have questions about it.

As it sounds like you've already found, there are some significant differences in the way conversions are reported in GA vs. AdWords. I'd recommend reading about those here if you haven't already.

On to your question about first vs. last click attribution in AdWords: Right now, the main reporting interface you see in AdWords is based on a last-click attribution model. There is currently not a way to change that setting in either your account or the Conversions tab, though I wouldn't be surprised if the option to change your model across AdWords appears in the future, since this is a frequent ask from many advertisers. The best way, then, to understand the value of first click vs. last click interactions inAdWords right now is through the Attribution Modeling report that you've already found. 

And the column for the value of all of your conversions is "Total conv. value," which is the sum of all conversion values for all ad clicks during the date range that you've selected (whereas "All conv. value" includes the value from conversions you've chosen not to include in your table for optimization purposes.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any other questions,

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Cassie,

Thanks for your response. Just to confirm with what you have said - are you saying that the tag I've got setup within AdWords for measuring first touch will not report the correct data?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm also confused about what revenue is being reported within acquisition > paid search. I thought this was last interaction?

Thanks
Darroch

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I read both your and the experts responses. There oughtn't be any other code set up to record first touch because it is based off the standard conversion tracking code except there is the addition time-stamp cookie (analogous to the cookie tracking for remarketing), so a first touch is when the user clicks on your ad....only to return after time and several other visits....to convert. All with the same conversion tracking code and what the expert is saying is that, the standard reporting for conversions is last touch, and that first touch to conversion reporting is available as a custom report, but you can't set your dashboard view to it.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Darroch,

Yes, AdWords conversion tracking reports last-click conversion in the interface, as Hoang explained quite well. The first-click attribution info is available in attribution modeling report, but you will not be able to "switch" the attribution modeling to first-click in the main interface.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question about acquisition. Are you talking about the Acquisition report in Analytics?

Cassie