AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Concerned about AdWords conversion tracking

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys,

I'm concerned that AdWords isn't tracking all my conversions - I've just looked at last month and compared with the data in Analytics and for the latter half of last month, Adwords was showing a lot less conversions than Analytics - compared with the first half where AdWords was showing considerably more than Analytics. Normally AdWords is higher than Analytics.

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening or maybe suggest a way I can be sure that AdWords is picking up all the conversions that go through the website?

Thanks for any help!  Smiley Wink

Laura 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Concerned about AdWords conversion tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

I think Moshe answered it few months back for you here.

The only thing in addition to this I can suggest you would be to look at the actual sales/leads at your end (may be database records, any spreadsheets manintained for sales/leads etc..)and then see if there is any statistical difference lying between them.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pankaj,

I did read through what Moshe directed me to, however, I am still concerned.

I have looked back over the past 8 months and this is how many more conversions AdWords showed than Analytics in that time:

March - 66

Feb - 88

Jan - 99

Dec - 120

Nov - 174

Oct - 141

Sep - 334

Aug - 175 

A
s you can see AdWords is normally signifcantly higher - this is why I am concerned that this month AdWords is actually lower than Analytics. 

Thanks,

Laura

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

I think that everyday or rather every month or every quarter or may be every year may not be the same for different businesses.

You would agree to the fact that some businesses are seasonal and some are consistent throughout the year.

(I am not sure about yours!)

1. Did you by chance look at the search terms report for the whole time period when the conversion started falling for your account?

2. Did you look at the Change History Report to see what exactly were you doing in terms of campaign optimization when conversions were up like a ladder. You may realize that some changes done to the account tend to afftect lately and would have been the reason for lower conversions.

3. I am not sure whether you are looking at Conversion (1 per click) or Conversion (Many per click) data.

There could be still various other reasons too due to which you are seeing lower conversions in your Adwords account. Because of this fact, I suggested you above to look at the actual leads or sales and then try to map that data with Adwords conversions or Analytics goals for the time period when you see the decline.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Laura,

I am sure there is a way to explain this difference. First of all that is strange that you have such a big difference between conversions tracked by AdWords and Analytics.

This shows that the way tracking is set may not be correct. It also depends what exactly are you tracking (visits, leads, sale).

I would suggest to contact customer support. I also recommend to give Analytics account access to customer support prior contacting them (they need it to check your data and setting in Analytics).

How to grant access is here:

http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1330238

Good luck!

Meet AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use Tag Manager to launch conversions.

The same rule launches the Analytics conversion (event) and AdWords conversion.

And there is a significant difference between conversion count on both accounts.

Any clue?