AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Competing youtube ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, if I have a youtube campaign with two different targeting groups, for example Target group A includes people with an interest in travel AND the country Great Britain, whereas Target group B includes people with an interest in travel AND the country France. If I have a unique video enabled for each target group and someone who is interested in travel, but has not been tagged as being interested in Great Britain or France, will my two targeting groups (and hence ads) compete against each other and drive up my cost per view?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competing youtube ads

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Robert,
Short answer - no, based on my experience, you won't see significant increases in your Cost-per-Views. Because in each Target Group you've selected a combination of interests, the system will always try to push Impressions to users who meet both criteria.
You could always do an A/B test and only run one Target at a time for a period of 2 weeks, and then activate the other Target and analyze your Cost-per-Views.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Well... This is really a nice question;
Before I answer - is this a true view in-stream campaign?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@vkore91 ;

To my recollection (if this has not been changed again) on YouTube  the OR condition applies, and the system will show the ad to audiences meet  either criteria, while in Adwords the ad will be shown to the overlapping targeted group.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the replies guys. Moshe it is a true view in-stream campaign. From the documentation (although it doesn't state it explicitly) it appears each target interest or content theme has the OR condition applied to it in the case of multiple selections in one targeting group, apart from when an interest and a content theme are selected, in which case the target will only match to a user who intersects both.

This would appear to mean that I should not use a interest target like tourism, which could apply to any of the videos I want to promote, on more than one video at a time if I want to be certain what someone who falls into that group is seeing.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Quote:
"....apart from when an interest and a content theme are selected, "
How did you get to this conclusion?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe, the first thing is that each of the interest or content categories you select in the targeting group is given a new line in the list, implying that if ANY of them match a user they will trigger an ad, rather than only triggering an ad when they are ALL matched.

Secondly there is a the Venn diagram at the right hand side of the page when creating a target group (in cases where both interest and content categories have been selected) showing the overlap between the content and interest selections in the target group as the number of potential impressions it will generate.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks Robert;
I will have to test interests on YouTube. I personally; since Google decided that I have an interest in Chinese, and cycling, I don't like much to target by interests....