AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Clients want to be shown for a particular keyword

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you  also have clients that insist to be shown for a particular (general) keyword (also expensive ones- using up 50% of the budget) even if all the figures show that it is not bringing them profit but losses ??? And how do you deal with that.

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Clients want to be shown for a particular keyword

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi MarketSharer,

You just have to really bring it to the attention of the client the losses associated to that keyword and also the opportunities of diverting the budget to better performing keywords. On a short term basis they might be blind to the wasted expense so it might be better to show them figures over a long time period or even provide them with a forecasted loss if you don't have enough data.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have enough data for the clients, but they keep stuck on their wish to be shown. (Some clients more then others )

And I was wondering if others encounter the same kind of client behaviour  and what you have come up with to change it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Are the clients stating why they want to appear on those particular keywords? I know it sounds expensive but it's required at times when attempting to develop a brand linked to specific search terms.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just because it is the main keyword in their line of business. Like "furniture" or "shoes" or "holidays".

I tend to end up with pages full of negative keywords .. Smiley Sad

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Marketsharer,

Can you ask client what is the main reason he want to show his ad for that particular keyword, like branding or being in top of page, or to show his ads in higher position than competitors, someting will be in his mind and that's why he is ready to spend his money for that keyword. And then pitch him as per his answer for campaign betterment.

Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi marketsharer, I think you need to be a little stronger in your role as a professional providing a service.

Using very broad terms then restricting them with a large array of negatives is a poor way to manage an account and you probably just need to be much more firm with them in your explanations of why this is.  They have employed you to act on their behalf, in their best interests, and as such sometimes you have to be quite strict.

In any event, if they insist on telling you which keywords they want to use, I'd make sure they signed something in writing to indicate they are doing so against your professional advice and accept any losses or performance problems associated with the use of these keywords.  Sometimes making them put something in writing can give them a clearer idea of how silly it is.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

LOL sometimes the clients don't know what is good for them Smiley Happy but if they insist on having the keywords then maybe you can bid down their position a little so they do not use as much of the budget as they do.

You may want to take a look at their impression share metrics.  If you can see that they are spending  50% of their budget on one ineffective keyword while other campaigns/adgroups/keywords that do convert are losing impression share due to rank or budget then it may make a strong case for freeing up some of that budget for better opportunities in the account.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I had gone through same problem. what i did to v convince my client on this was:

1) Firstly i prepared a report that shows the comparison between one expensive keyword with ten top performing keywords.

2) Run a search query report and mark main keywords those received conversions and calculate Cost/Conv. (this is possible if u have received conversion for you main keywords).

3) Also please check list of negative keywords. Sometimes by mistake we add wrong negative keywords that affect overall campaign performance.

For example: I had a client that deals in High Blood Pressure.. Now when i test keywords

high blood pressure

[high blood pressure]

"high blood pressure"

All above three match types does not worked for me. All three keywords were very expensive and rarely receive conversion. Doing nothing only eating up budget.

But in other adgroups high blood pressure in broad and exact received good conversion at less CPL. Alongwith the comparison of keywords report, I attached a search query report and highlighted terms where we received conversion for main keywords.

Finally, for me it worked and she was somehow convinced.

Please correct me if i am wrong anywhere. Just trying to contribute.

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for all comments and suggestions and I will try to mix it up, to come to something to convince the client Smiley Happy