AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Clicks vs views for in-display video ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running in-display ads for my YouTube videos. It seems to me that a "click" and a "view" are the same exact thing because you have to click the ad to get a view. So why do I have 1 click but 1,000 views for my campaign?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Clicks vs views for in-display video ad

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Matthew,

Clicks and Views are not the same thing:

• Views are the total number of times your videos were viewed.
  • Clicks are when someone clicks on your video.

Are you sure you're running In-Display vs In-Stream?  Also, are you sure that the Views count you see if from your YouTube advertising Campaign and not your regular channel/video views?  Also, do you have any Companion Banners or Call-to-Action Overlays?

YouTube Performance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I definitely run in display ads. I have a campaign with 24,000 impressions, 1000 views and 1 click.

In order to get a "view" of my video doesn't someone technically have to click the ad?

I don't have any banners or call to action that I know of.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

having the same issue... are organic views adding to this??

Clicks vs views for in-display video ad

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Mathew,

Yours seems a video discovery (formerly in-display) ad that includes an image and some text. 

When a viewer clicks the thumbnail for your ad, the video will play on its YouTube watch or channel page. It is counted as a view and basically that's what you pay for. (Cost-Per-View) - Clicks on the other hand show you the number of times people clicked on your video. 

***   Measure video ad performance   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375431?hl=en

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you please tell me how to set up video ad on websites which i can targeted ?