AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Clicks not Collected by AdWords Account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have set up a new campaign 2 days back & though I am able to see impressions (total 125 in 2 days at both Search & Display Network) in my AdWords Acount, but there are no clicks. Why there are 0 clicks against all ads? Do I need to do anything else to view the clicks in AdWords Account?

The ads are showing up as I checkin the "Preview" Section. Bids are also high. I even checked myself by searching for the same keyword in Google. I have clicked myself 2-3 times to check the same, but somehow data is not getting collected by AdWords account.

Please advise.

Regards,

Anoop

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anoop G
September 2015

Re: Clicks not Collected by AdWords Account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anoop,

impressions and clicks are two different things.... an impression is counted each time your ad is shown - and there can be 10 ads shown on a search results page. Clicks are only counted when a shown ad is clicked on by the searcher.... so it is perfectly reasonable to get impressions and no clicks.

The most obvious question to ask here is - in what position are your ads showing? If your ads are showing in position 5 or lower, then they are much less likely to attract clicks than those in the top positions....

it's also worth asking what time of day you are getting your impressions - the reason I ask this is that you may be getting all your impressions at 4am when your competitors are not running their ads because they have learned that there are no prospects around at that time....

Solutions? Well, these issues are - in the first instance - related to your bids - the quick fix will be to increase your bids (and perhaps introduce a schedule for your ads) - the next job will be to look to improve the Quality Scores of your keywords so as to reduce the amount you will have to pay to get the prime ad slots.

As another suggestion - I would look to separate out the search and display networks - I suspect your impressions are mostly on the display network.... where a CTR might be deemed satisfactory if it is 0.1% - that's one click per 1,000 impressions - on 125 impressions you are still along way from getting a click!

you will find that you need to bid differently for search and display, and running them together is not often a good idea....

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"I have clicked myself 2-3 times to check the same, but somehow data is not getting collected by AdWords account."

1) Did you click your Ad in the AD Preview tool or in the live search page ?

2) There is a delay of around 3 hours before a click is reported in the interface so if you clicked in the live search page you should at least see your 2-3 clicks after at most 3 hours.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Very strange.... have you checked that the date range you are looking at includes the time of the clicks... try selecting This month which wiull include everything up until the last recorded clicks - although not those from the past couple of hours or so as Adrian explained....

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anoop,

impressions and clicks are two different things.... an impression is counted each time your ad is shown - and there can be 10 ads shown on a search results page. Clicks are only counted when a shown ad is clicked on by the searcher.... so it is perfectly reasonable to get impressions and no clicks.

The most obvious question to ask here is - in what position are your ads showing? If your ads are showing in position 5 or lower, then they are much less likely to attract clicks than those in the top positions....

it's also worth asking what time of day you are getting your impressions - the reason I ask this is that you may be getting all your impressions at 4am when your competitors are not running their ads because they have learned that there are no prospects around at that time....

Solutions? Well, these issues are - in the first instance - related to your bids - the quick fix will be to increase your bids (and perhaps introduce a schedule for your ads) - the next job will be to look to improve the Quality Scores of your keywords so as to reduce the amount you will have to pay to get the prime ad slots.

As another suggestion - I would look to separate out the search and display networks - I suspect your impressions are mostly on the display network.... where a CTR might be deemed satisfactory if it is 0.1% - that's one click per 1,000 impressions - on 125 impressions you are still along way from getting a click!

you will find that you need to bid differently for search and display, and running them together is not often a good idea....
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"I have clicked myself 2-3 times to check the same, but somehow data is not getting collected by AdWords account."

1) Did you click your Ad in the AD Preview tool or in the live search page ?

2) There is a delay of around 3 hours before a click is reported in the interface so if you clicked in the live search page you should at least see your 2-3 clicks after at most 3 hours.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. But I still have one more doubt.

I have clicked my own ad 2-3 times to check whether the AdWords analytics is capturing any clicks or not. In spite of clicking it 3 times, there are 0 clicks reported by AdWords.

What is the reason behind this mismatch?

Anoop

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

I have clicked at the Ad in the live search page & not in the AD Preview tool.

Also, the first click was made on more than 12 hours ago.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Very strange.... have you checked that the date range you are looking at includes the time of the clicks... try selecting This month which wiull include everything up until the last recorded clicks - although not those from the past couple of hours or so as Adrian explained....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I am not sure why it happened, but clicks are taking time to show up at AdWords account. Today, I am able to see clicks, the ones I clicked 2 days before, these are the only ones as of now. Do AdWords take 2 days to update the clicks in the account? I am quite concerned about it.

Regards,

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

The delays are usually up to 3 hours as explained here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2544985?hl=en

However I am able to see search terms which triggered clicks a lot faster, after around 1 hour, in the Google analytics interface under the Matched Search Queries report :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2491146?hl=en