AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Clicks but no sessions for Google Shopping campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are significant discrepancies between Adwords clicks reported and Analytics sessions reported (3K+ clicks but double figure sessions).

Sessions snip for adcommunity.PNG

• Auto-tagging is on
  • Accounts are linked
  • GA tag is firing correctly (checked in Tag Assistant)

The sessions fall off a cliff at the same time that some amends were made to the URLs detailed in the merchant centre feed.  The site has GeoIP and despite Google's recommendations regarding targeting etc, they tested the URLs submitted and kept disapproving them due to that fact they are outwith the UK and the site is displaying currencies other than GBP (despite the fact that the feed is targeting the UK and only available there - everything was correct when testing from the UK!???!)

To bypass the GeoIP a currency tag was added to the end of the URL to ensure that shipping et al is correct and Google approves the listings .html?currency=GBP 

Any ideas on how to resolve this???

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

How's the tracking via other traffic sources i.e. organic, referral, direct etc...? Do you think that the discrepancy is only for tracking AdWords data or is it present across all channels tracking? 

Also I hope you are not using combination of manual tagging plus auto tagging in AdWords?

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

The discrepancies are in the Shopping campaigns only, all other campaigns (search & Display) are reporting data that is within the realms of "normal" discrepancies.

All other channels reporting correctly.

Auto-tagging only, no manual tagging set.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Claire V

There seems to be some issues with URL redirects in place. Is the GCLID getting stripped off?

If you could share the website URL, we check it better. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It's not getting stripped out

https://www.etb-tech.com/poweredge-m1000e-blades-enclosure-with-8-x-m710-blades.html?amp;gclid=CJSTt...

Is the URL when landing from a shopping advert

(thanks)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Claire V

I see an amp; before GCLID. What's that? Are you adding an ampersand after the final URL?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Claire V
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Well, here's the problem..

Your website adds something like #.WJhRvLZ97aY to the URL at the end. And when the traffic comes from ads, it adds an amp; before  ?gclid= and something like #.WJhRvLZ97aY gets added at the end of URL. 

It is making Analytics lose track of gclid, and thus you see a discrepancy in clicks and sessions from paid Google traffic. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thank you for this feedback, I will discuss this with our developers.  The section after the # is standard Magento tracking from what I am aware and has been on the site (and others) without issue.

The amp; is likely the culprit.

Thanks again, I'll update here as/when resolved

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan,

Just a note to a) say THANK YOU & b) it was the rogue amp; causing the issue.

This was due to Magento stripping out the currency side of things but replacing parts of this with the amp;

Our developers have corrected and (although its early days) sessions are starting to trickle through.

Thanks again

Re: Clicks but no sessions for Google Shopping campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've had a similar issue with a Google Shopping campaign where the feed is imported directly from Prestashop into the Merchant Center. We've had the campaign running for almost a week, and has received 386 clicks but sessions counted at 0. We are using eCommerce conversion tracking in Google Analytics. I've attached a screenshot below from the Acquisition tab. Is anybody able to help me please?

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 15.44.08.png