AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Click-to-Call UK or France?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone have some advice using click-to-call for the UK or France? I am doing some market research for my company to understand the opportunity and challenges that exist for tracking phone calls. We are US-based and want to explore running call tracking and search campaigns internationally.

If anyone has advice I would love a quick call to discuss.

Thanks,

Leslie

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Click-to-Call UK or France?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In France - you'd better ask in Frenc in the Adwords French community;

For the UK; Let me ping a few of our UK Top Contributors

@Jon_Gritton ?

@stickleback ?

@ScottyD ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Leslie,

I haven't used them personally but I know another TC uses Response Tap for UK campaigns. He mentioned that call tracking is significantly more expensive in the UK than the US though...

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Leslie, there are, of course, options for simple call tracking without resorting to a third-party and the level to which you take such tracking will depend upon the nature of your calls and the value those calls bring.  For example, if almost every call results in a sale, and those sales are typically of a similar value (or have a well established average value) then it could be argued that using a Google call forwarding number will be sufficient tracking as you can set parameters for recording a conversion and an adjust value per conversion.

On the other hand, if you receive a lot of enquiries that don't lead to sales (at least not by phone) and particularly if sales tend to be of a higher value, it's more important to accurately record each and every AdWords attributable sale and here I'd recommend using third-party tracking that can link a sale right back into AdWords.

So, your first step is really understanding the nature of your call traffic; do you have any information you can share on the subject.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I've used a number of different options (Response Tap, Mongoose Metrics) - including Google's own - and prefer CallTrackingMetrics

Very simple installation - which can be done through Google Tag Manager as well as integrations with Analytics and the ability to select which traffic sources you track, so you're not tracking direct or referral traffic calls, for example (unless you wanted to!) - but as Jon suggests, Google's own option may well be enough.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Click-to-call, only means - That a user with a mobile device capable of making a phone call clicked somewhere on an ad, and that click initiated a phone call. That click may not be an actually received, or even intended call. The only way to track any call data is to use Google call forwarding call extensions, or third party call tracking. You would be eligible for call forwarding call extensions in both France and the UK.

"Call extensions with Google forwarding phone numbers are only available for numbers based in Australia, France, Germany, Spain, the US, and the UK."

If you want to know more about call forwarding call extensions:

Here's the official Google help doc. introduction:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en&ref_topic=3119124

You can also check out my latest attempt to put all the call forwarding call extensions stuff in one place. Smiley Happy
http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/google-call-forwarding-call-extensions/

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks everyone, this is helpful. We can run click-to-call, but what I'm referring to is tracking beyond the "click" - understanding what happened on the call and analytics to understand what keywords are driving phone calls etc. It sounds like call forwarding extensions would be the best approach here.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Yes... But - Optimizing for phone calls requires a little different approach, primarily because there is some data that you can't get at the KW or ad level. Third party call tracking, website coding, and analytics tracking, can help you get some more of those details. However, that's a big investment!

First of all, try Google's free call tracking by using Google call forwarding number call extensions. See what call volume you are getting from AdWords already. Continue to learn about, and optimize for, phone calls. Then, if you see a positive return from those efforts, consider investing in some of those additional tools to further improve return.
Tom

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
There is a cost to 3rd party tools - but these costs are relatively low - I say relatively because in my experience there is a flat monthly fee (the service we use it's $29) then charges per call (depending upon the number - 800 numbers cost more - around 5¢ per minute). So it depends on how many phone calls you get. If you get a lot of calls then the costs go up - BUT - and this is the important point - if you get a lot of calls, then optimising your campaigns (and landing pages!) for calls is important and you cannot do this effectively without the call tracking solutions.

Personally, for certain clients, call tracking is a massive help. Some of our clients get practically nothing but phone calls, and for these the savings through optimisation are well worth the expense. Plus - with the system we use and for most clients - we only pay to track the calls that come from visitors whose source is AdWords - we don't pay to track direct visitors, for example. For others we track organic search and referrals as well.

Sometimes the picture changes significantly when you start to track calls. One of our clients was using Adwords and bing. bing performed poorly - until we added call tracking - we found that bing outperformed Adwords by a significant factor on phone calls.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If you want to run tracking after the click, metrics like call status, call duration, and most importantly call outcome (lead / sale and value etc) then as been mentioned you will need 3rd party tracking. Google forwarding numbers also won't let you record calls, where as with 3rd party tools you can which can really help give deeper insights.

Similarly Google forwarding only works for users who call direct from the ad and doesn't take into account those that click through to your website and then use click-to-call (if you are running it).

Happy to discuss further but I work for a call tracking provider so will be biased on who you should use for this service in the UK & France