AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Classified ad sites & directories produce better results than AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

After two years of learning, experimenting, and getting better and better results from AdWords I have come to this firm conclusion:

marketing using classified ad sites and directories produce much better overall results and 26% higher ROI comparing to AdWords.

In the US, using sites (yelp.com, yellowpages.com, angieslist.com, yell.com) together by far outperformed the AdWords.

In Canada, these gave much better results (homestars.com, yellowpages.com, craigslist.com, kijiji.ca) than the AdWords and saved me tons of $$$!

Some of these sites offer free ads, and many score much higher in long tail keywords. Yes, they gave the most advantage because many such long key phrase searches produced NO AdWords at all, NONE!

This is true for the construction, renovation, home improvent, tradesmen niche. I did not try any other markets.

Two or three years ago I could hardly see a free ad site or a directory on top of SERPs, now they are everywhere, just below the AdWords.

Ad blindness and AdWords blindness in particular further undermined the AdWords effectiveness!

Share your opinion or experience with other markets. This could help AdWords to change or improve or else ....

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Classified ad sites & directories produce better results than

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Frank, welcome to the Community.

At the end of the day, it is impossible, simply impossible, to make broad sweeping statements about the effectiveness of one method of advertising over another.  You cannot compare the advertising used by a hotel in St Albans, UK, with that used by a sports retailer in Texas, US.

AdWords doesn't work for all markets/businesses.  No one ever said it did.  So it's not really any surprise if for the markets where AdWords is inefficient, there is an alternative advertising method that is more appropriate.

I'm not sure what the purpose of your post here is, but it reads as though you have an anti-AdWords agenda.  If this is the case, that's fine, I suspect it is driven by the fact that for your chosen markets, your experience and your AdWords Accounts, AdWords proved ineffective.  This in itself does not lead to a valid conclusion that AdWords is always ineffective in your markets, nor that another form of promotion is always more efficient in that market.

It's a pity that in the two years of your experiments you don't appear to have ever been active on this support forum.  Perhaps if you had been we may have been able to help you reach your conclusion more rapidly and saved you some money.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Classified ad sites & directories produce better results than

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would have to agree with Jon. Google make most of their money from Adwords- which is much more than all the directories put together. Adwords is also more than just the search network. The search partner network show Google ads on many of these directories. The Display Network has a much larger audience than all the directories put together. The setup of Adwords will also have an effect on the performance with much more optimisation (or the opposite) capabilities than directory ads. .