AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Checking referrers from Adwords click-throughs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I see an in increase in click-through billing but a drop in visitor activuty I start wondering about what I am paying for and would like to validate referrer links from Google referrals.

So how can I tell whether the clickthroughs are fro organic serach or Adwords? And how can I tell what the key word was? I found some articles about how Google disguises/omits such relevant information to increase security, but how does that help us?

It seems like Google has gone to a lot of trouble to disguise what they are really doing, so how can we be re-assured that there isn't a bank of servers somewhere using random IP numbers to impersdonate click-through hits on our pages?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Checking referrers from Adwords click-throughs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello WilliamK; welcome:

• how can I tell whether the click-through are for organic search or AdWords? - CTR column on the AdWords UI reflects ONLY paid visitors, who in fact clicked on your ad

• "I found some articles about how Google disguises/omits such relevant information to increase security, but how does that help us?" - This is incorrect. Google does NOT omit search terms (queries) that matched a keyword, that in turn, triggered an ad that was clicked. You can see these, using the search term report.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, that information does not confirm anything. It is merely a report created by Google and it cannot be validated.

My question was how can I validate the referrrer links if the referral is disgiused by proxy and the keywords have been removed from the referral string?

For example I can log and itemise such referrals but Google has gone to great lengths to undermine any such detection. So how can I or anyone else prove that we are getting billed for genuine click thoughs?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Qoute:

keywords have been removed from the referral string...

Why do you think that key words were removed? Just because some bloggers wrote it?

Eventually; no 3rd party has audited Google, to verify that the system is as claimed. (It's Google confidential propriety... ). However, the millions of users that use it to promote their businesses and trust it, are a vote of confidence - Isn't that true?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is each advertiser's right is the ability to validate their bill. So far that is not possible because of the smoke screen. Why is a smoke screen necessary if billing is indeed honest.

At the momemnt Adwords is not showing for me in any browser, so I can't provide an example referrer link from Adwords. But look at this link from organic search referral...

REF = http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%...

This is an organic search referral but what was the keyword? The keyword used is NOT Googl'es intellectual property... it's my intellectual property!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Please read the following article . It should answer your concern about referring a keyword to search term;

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708;

-Moshe

PS: As I said; I have seen too many blogs/ article with unsubstantial claims about Adwords ...I am not going to comment on every single one...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re "about referring a search term"... as I already pointed out, that is information provided by Google that cannot be validated or confirmed.

Re 'unsubstatntiated claims"... all i asked was is how can I find out which search terms were used (because they were purposely removed from the referral string in 2009).

I also asked how can I verify that the hits on my pages are inedded from Adwords referrals and not a bot, when Google has gone out of its way to conceal all related info from its referral string?

Re "millions of trusted users"... are you referring to millions of naive web users who are incapable of using the address bar without having type everything into a search engine, or the millions of hopefuls creating web site clones to sell Adwords, or the millions of SEO experts claiming to know how it all works? Because if instead you are referring to the honest Adwords advertisiers who have no choice but to trust a smoke screen because they haven't got a choice, I think that they would be very intersted to know why:

- their ads display even though they have warnigs about being under the threshhold price

- their ads are under priced even though no-one else is bidding on them

- their bills increase despite the budgets and campaigns being cut

- any increase in traffic from Adwords is not generating more business

What I would like to do is log traffic and check for myself from where the traffic comes, from which keyword, and which IP is being referred. This is my site and my traffic. I am paying Google for the referral and the information is my intellectual property. So why does Google hide that information from me?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again;

I am trying to be practical and constructive in this discussion, to help you in putting your campaign back on track. Defamations / slanders towards other users (e.g. "...are you referring to millions of naive web users who are incapable of using the address bar without having type everything into a search engine":.... OR millions of SEO experts claiming to know how it all works") - will not take us far, and also violate the writing guideline of the community.

I will try to summarize your questions till now, and addressing your other questions:

• "how can I find out which search terms were used (because they were purposely removed from the referral string in 2009)".- I am not aware of any referral string removed. We all use, fully satisfied , the "search term report, I refereed in my first answer. Give it a try...

• "their ads display even though they have warnigs about being under the threshold price" - Prices are "an estimate" , based on statistical averages. This is said by Google quite clear. We reiterated that many times in other discussions. (run a search using the Community's search for "estimate price"/ "traffic estimator" , etc..

• "their ads are under priced even though no-one else is bidding on them" - There is a threshold you need to cross, in order to have your ad shown. Being the only business advertising with no competitors, does not guarantee that your ad to appear.

• "their bills increase despite the budgets and campaigns being cut"  -Your monthly bill will never cross 30.4 * your daily budget (30.4 stands for the average number of days in a month). If it does google will refund you.

• "I also asked how can I verify that the hits on my pages are inedded from Adwords referrals and not a bot," - Google uses various techniques to ensure that real users (people) click, and to make sure that ads come from trusted advertisers. Read more here, and Watch the video.

•  "any increase in traffic from AdWords is not generating more business"- This is the 1,000,000 question. To answer it, you need a combination of a good landing page, an attractive ad-copy, and a good bidding strategy. This is all what AdWords is about. I agree that this is not an easy task...!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Defamation? You claim how there can there be anything wrong "when there are millions of satisfied customers".

From where do you get "defamation"? From the FACT that most internet users do not know how to use the address bar in their web browser and instead type URLs into the search bar even when they they know the URL? Are these the millions of satidsfied customers that you refer to?

Or is it the millions of site owners and SEO experts profiting or hope to profit from Adwords?

Because I am referring to the millions of advertisers who are getting milked in their sleep.

In short, you don't have a suitable answer for my question, just more smoke and mirrors.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Perhaps I should repeat the question...

So how can I tell whether the clickthroughs are from organic search or Adwords? And how can I tell what the key word was?

Google seems to have gone to a lot of trouble to disguise and/or remove any information from its referral links by redirecting through proxy servers and encrypting/removing the keywords used. How this affects site owners is that information previously available to them since the world began, statistics recorded from their own own site logs, is now useless because the most relevant info has been removed.

I am currently modifying our site logging to try and make more sense out of that info, and I was hoping for some insight. Obviously this is not the best place to get an honest answer about anything related to Google.