AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Changing values for the same month, same input, in the Kw Planner

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Did you notice in the keyword planner that values for a certain month, that represent sums of historic searches ( so not estimates) , change if you change the time-frame you are looking at, without changing anything else ?

For example I am search for "tablet price" , targeting US, english language , and looking at the "keywords ideas" tab, date range=default 12 months, the volume of searches for the month of Dec 2013 shows up as 2.611.190 searches. See screenshot :

dec2013-take1.png

Now just by changing the date range to Oct 2012-Sept 2014, the same month Dec 2013 shows up with 2.583.440 searches. 

dec2013-take2.png

You may say this difference is a negligible error of 27.750 searches, representing only 10% , but I am very curious why the same month shows up with different volume of searches, just by changing the date range. Is the keyword planner a non-reliable tool when it shows historical data ?

Can someone reply with a non-maybe answer ? 

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Changing values for the same month, same input, in the Kw Planner

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I have tested with many p&c. And found that if you change date range in keywords planner, It starts collecting top search keywords during that period( the date range you defined).

One time, It has given the average monthly searches of 631 keywords (in One Time Range) and next time I got monthly searches of 600 keywords (in different time range). Because Google keyWords planner gives top keywords, as it does not give all keywords ideas, which are available in universe.

However If you compare the date range in one time. You will find difference. As It shows the average monthly searches of same keywords.

Community.PNG

Community-1.PNG

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

So you are saying that for my first measurement (Date Range Oct 2013-Sept 2014), the 801 keyword suggestions would be a collection of "X" keywords and for my second measurement (Date Range Oct 2012 - Sept 2014) , the 801 keyword suggestions on which the volume of each month is based on, would be a collection of a different "Y" keywords.

This leads for a different set of keywords for the same month of Dec 2013, resulting a different volume of searches , even if the month is the same ?

Did I understand correctly ?

If yes, is there a way to easily compare the 2 sets of keywords in excel to see which are different keywords in both cases ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes,what I am trying to say,

let's say (In my case) Collection of X keywords is 631 keywords and Collections of Y keywords are 600 keywords.

So Download both set of keywords and use Vlookup formula in excel, you will find keywords and difference in the keywords avg. searches.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes you are right, around 40 keywords are different , even if it shows the same 801 suggestions. Weird stuff.

Thank you.