AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can you track Adwords conversion from double opt-in verify email link?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

For users on my website, they have to double opt-in to my newsletter.  So I send them an email where they need to click "verify email" for their email to be added to my newsletter list.

Is there a way to use Adwords Conversions to track conversions that come from the "verify email" link?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can you track Adwords conversion from double opt-in verify email l

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Olimits,
Usually, your newsletter provider (icontact, Aweber etc.) will have the ability to allow you to install the conversion tracking tag on your confirmation page. If they don't, there's no real way to track this accurately. You COULD place the tracking pixel in your email but not all email clients display images automatically so this is notoriously inaccurate.

If you're self hosting your email marketing software, then you can add the tracking code normally. What are you using?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

I'm using Interspire Email Marketer, I'm not sure if it has this option I'll have to check to see if they can track Adwords conversions.

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Put your Adwords conversion tracking code in Settings --> Affiliate Settings

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, great...thank you!

Strange part is I don't have the "Affiliate Settings" menu showing up in my Interspire Email Marketer software.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi olimits7,

Yes, place the AdWords conversion code on the page the email confirmation link goes to. That will record the conversion properly.

I don't think placing the tracking pixel in the email will work. The request for the tracking pixel must include the 3rd party cookie in order to properly track the conversion. Email programs, as far as I know, don't include that cookie when making the request.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Petebardo, 

I did put the conversion tracking code on the page where the email confirmation links to. But it didn't record any conversions inspite of actually some conversions happening. I checked with the Google customer care and the guy said that it can only track conversions on single optins, meaning, it has to track from the ad to the submit button to the thank you page. Post this, since it goes on emails and then comes to the final Thank you page, he said it won't record as a conversion. I'm currently using GA's goal tracking along with adwords to track actual conversions. Let me know if I'm wrong somewhere and if I can actually track this directly using adwords. 

Thanks, 

Ashwin Kumar

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Ashwin Kumar,

This is a completely different question. It depends on how you set up the goal. If all steps are required, it probably won't work. You might have better luck using the AW conversion code. Source attribution will be different in Analytics and AdWords reports.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords