AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can't get mailchimp clicks to report in analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm unable to see clicks from my mailchimp campaigns in google analytics. Have contacted mailchimp and everything is set up ok, any idea how I can find the issue with google?
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can't get mailchimp clicks to report in analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome to our community.

I have not (yet) used Mailchimp, but if it works as the other e-mail apps out there, an e-mail link should take the user to an intermediate URL first (where some tracking for Mailchimp happens) and then redirect to the URL you specify in your e-mail template.

That URL needs to be tagged correctly, i.e. something like:

http://yourwebsite.com/promo?utm_source=newsletter_wk_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=summer_holidays&u...

If you do not place those campaign tags yourself, Google Analytics cannot assign those clicks to an e-mail campaign and they either appear as direct traffic for people reading their e-mails in an application, or as referral traffic for those reading e-mails online.

Here's more on campaign/utm tags: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1033863&topic=1032998&ctx=topic

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying to my question All I want to be able to do is see mailchimp as a traffic source, I'm not seeing anything in my google reports, no idea how to fix? Please excuse brevity and any typos as sent from my iPhone

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello.

I understand. But mailchimp is not "the source". Mailchimp sends e-mails (God, I hope I'm right on this one Smiley Happy ), right?

E-mails land in inboxes. Offline or online. And those e-mail messages, actually those e-mail campaigns, as they sit in inboxes, are the sources.

They're HTML pages with links in them. If they're offline, in Outlook / Thunderbird or another e-mail client, a click on those links is just as a click on a Word document with an embedded link. And most of the times they are reported as direct traffic, because browsers do not detect a referring website, so they attribute the click to "direct".

Sometimes, if somebody reads e-mails online, on a website such as yahoo or live.com, you'll see referrals such as mail.yahoo.com or something.live.com. To Analytics, that's the source, and the medium is referral. Because it's an online link, on that website, regardless of the fact that it's part of an e-mail or not. It's a website, with a link to your site. Referral.

The way to avoid this situation, whenever you create and send out an e-mail campaign, is not to use links such as www.yourwebsite.com/the-cool-landing-page-you-use.html, but rather www.yourwebsite.com/the-cool-landing-page-you-use.html?utm .... and so on. That's your way of telling Google Analytics that the clicks come from an e-mail campaign. Powered by Mailchimp, if you wish.

"Sent from my long-text loving, high speed typing Jelly Bean Android phone" Smiley Happy (kidding).

Hope I managed to make myself clear now.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How do you apply this to a RSS-driven campaign in MailChimp where the links are dynamically created and not manually inserted?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you figure this out? I'm on the hunt to find out if it's possible to add UTM to mailchimp RSS emails.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thank you.