AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can multiple Adwords accounts retarget 1 website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have multiple AdWords accounts advertising only 1 website. I want to set up remarketing, but it looks like I need to put in place each Adwords account’s specific code on my website. Can you please let me know if you are aware of a more efficient solution, maybe tracking code at MCC level?

Thanks!

Luc

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Can multiple Adwords accounts retarget 1 website?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Luc;
Targeting the same website using multiple domains is a violation of the "double serving" section of the policy;
(There are some exceptions - but I doubt that they are applied to your business)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks MosheLTV

There is only one domain, not multiple ones. So for example I have:

Adwords account 1 advertises mywebsite.com
Adwords account 2 advertises mywebsite.com

Both Adwords accounts seem to have different retargeting tags, so do I need to put both tags on my website.com?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;
You cannot do that. This would be a violation of the double serving section of the Policy.
The general rule is: "one business, one domain, one account". (There are exceptions, but I doubt they apply in your case.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luc G
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I'm really surprised by your answer because I've advertised the same website with multiple Adwords accounts before (but without retargeting, hence this question now), and Google simply dedupes the ads from both accounts automatically - ie prevents double serving by choosing the ad they prefer for any given search query. They never told me I was violating anything and I saw no penalty of any sort.

In any case, we have now concentrated all our spend on a single account again, so there is no further need for that question. Thank you for your help!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You are partially correct.

>>"Google simply dedupes the ads from both accounts automatically - ie prevents double serving by choosing the ad they prefer for any given search query."

This is what technically Adwords does to prohibit more than one ad from the same account shown on SERP. 

However, you should have also been approached by a Google rep. warning  you that this practice is a violation of the policy!