AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can i use Auto tagging as well as UTM tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi 

Is that good to use both auto tagging & UTM parameters for one campaign ?

Is there any difference between the output, i mean can we get much more information from either of the one ?

Please tell me the pros and cons

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author balaji j
September 2015

Re: Can i use Auto tagging as well as UTM tracking

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Using both of them simultaneously will double count the data in Google anayltics. The best action is to use auto tagging. Here are some benefit of using auto tagging over manual tagging:-
*Passes the data automatically from adwords to analtytics ,
*Easier than manually tagging every destination URL . Save your time and work.
*Eliminates the errors.
*More detailed reporting in Google Analytics.
*Import goals from Analytics to AdWords.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can i use Auto tagging as well as UTM tracking

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

In addition, I would like to say that you should first go for Auto Tagging because that's an inbuilt functionality which AdWords has and you can get indepth data by simply enabling that option.

Manual tagging is best when your website URLs are not getting supported with the gclid parameter of auto tagging.

Also, when you want to track data outside of Google AdWords i.e. some email campaign, some newsletter campaign etc...

Read more about Auto Tagging vs. Manual Tagging here: 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733663?hl=en

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Ahmed

Are you sure that using both utm's and auto tagging will result in double counting the data in Google Analytics?

In March 2016 (after your post), Google introduced flexible auto-tagging override for GA-AdWords linking (details at https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAnalytics/posts/XNVmJurNBeJ).

Google stated that this feature "allows advertisers to use auto-tagging to automatically import Adwords data into Analytics, but use UTM values in the destination URL, when present. This means that advertisers can customize Campaign, Content and Keyword dimension values using UTM values and still see these AdWords clicks data in the Analytics AdWords reports."

My interpretation of this is that if under the GA property settings, if the "Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)" is enabled, GA will overwrite the auto tagging data with that of the utm parameters for the parameters that are present, and for the ones that are absent, use the auto linking values. As such, no double counting will occur. If this option isn't enabled, I would assume GA would get use the auto tagging values on links where both utm parameters and auto tagging parameters are present?

Could the community please confirm if this is the case and that no double counting would occur when both utm and auto tagging is used on a single link under GA's at this point in time?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ahmed - I would agree with Michael S. since the implementation of flex auto-tagging.

I can confirm from April 2016 to Sept 2017 we've had zero double conversions in analytics.

(checked)
"Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)"
all while auto-tagging is enabled.

Across Analytics, AdWords and our internal CRM we only have 3 total unaccounted conversions. With all AD's manually tagged (yes it takes time) however it is the best for what we want done. Smiley Happy

I will be checking carefully over the next month for any new issues over the Sept 2017 update to GCLID but I would say if you're getting double conversions in analytics make sure to double check 'smart goals' etc. & verify goal/conversion import via Analytics / AdWords is done properly and reflects the goals you want in place for proper conversion tracking. 

See REF Below For Sept. 2017 GCLID Changes:

How AdWords tracks website conversions - What's changing