AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can i find GCLID parameter in ADwords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Can i find GCLID  parameter in ADwords interface

I did not find it in dimension tab 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can i find GCLID parameter in ADwords

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Aona,

The Gclid Parameters are not recorded in the Destination URL of Dimensions Tab. It is a unique ID used by Google Analytics to track and display AdWords clicks in your reports. It is recorded in web logs and you can find the id in that log.

- Prashanth Reniguntala

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Alona,

As Prashanth mentioned, you cannot get access to a GCLID anywhere on the AdWords interface nor the Analytics interface ( I am not sure why Prashanth said you can access GCLID in Analytics, maybe I am misinterpreting what he said).

Any ways, GCLID is a dynamically generated value that is appended to the back of your destination URL when a user clicks on your ad. GCLID basically consists of data related to the AdWords campaign, keyword, etc. that led to the click which is then tracked back to attribute the appropriate value to.

Here are a few articles that may help you on this:

http://www.wordstream.com/gclid

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19576091/how-to-extract-information-from-google-click-id-gclid (this one explains the values that are passed in a GCLID)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Right it is not inGA but it will be recorded in web logs so you can differentiate clikcs from AdWords and others. Sorry for the typo.
Cheers
Prashanth Reniguntala

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

HI ALona,

the only place you can see the gclid is in the URL tags after clicking an ad. It's a dynamic value and there is no report for gclid's.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there no way to view the urls of those ads including the click ID? At the moment im running a campaign and recording the sessions with a software called hot Jar where I can play back the sessions of the user. Hot JAr shows me the click ID together with the destination URL. IF only I could correlate a session to a click and search query I could get more out of that analysis.

tnks

Rod

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have not been able to find gclid parameters. 

Can anyone here help me out ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The gclid parameter looks something like this:

gclid=CjwKEAiA6YDBBRDwtpTQnYzx5lASJAF57ObMtfDNjVKS1d6qi6PNDnUbg1MJQ1bys3Zt8y6YtovMxhoCyKrw_wcB

And is usually a part of the AdWords link. Don't bother with gclid because it's dynamically created and don't tell you a lot. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Specifically, what Prashanth is referring to is your server web logs, more than likely Apache access_log.